Surf Rod Butt End - It Slips

Started by Tuffecs, September 17, 2021, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuffecs

Received this new Berrypro surf casting rod from Amazon recently.  Am impressed with quality and price.  Casts well, but there's a slight issue.  When the butt rests on my thigh area while I'm reeling, the butt end tends to slip off.  The end is not grippy.  Material is made of plastic of sorts.  Should be an easy fix.

So, looking for ideas.

What can I do to make it grippy?
Remove and replace with some other material (cork)?
Glue some rubber material in the shape of a quarter?
Roughen or score the end?

Whatever the fix, it should fit in my sand spike.

philaroman

there's this rare, specialized abrasive compound...  wait, I'll think of it...  oh, yeah: CONCRETE  ;D

seriously, consider what you were wearing
Spidey couldn't hang on to some of the slick/quick-dry/fine-thread synthetics, when wet

Tuffecs

My other rods do fine.  I guess I may have to look for a rubber end with the right diameter.  On the other hand, with all the praise with cork, I thought maybe I should do it with that.  Or maybe there's an alternative quick fix.

oldmanjoe

::)        I am thinking crutch bottom cap or a tennis ball with a hole in it , use when necessary.  
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Any rod building supply will have hoards of options for a slip on/over butt cap that might fit your needs.  Pro - It not permanent, if it turns out not to be to your liking you can pop it off, and try something else.  Con - If you do not have a rod building supply close by, you will have to resort to online, and while there are many great and reputable suppliers sometimes it's easier when you can actually see/feel/touch/test fit.
For a real "quick and dirty" most hardware stores, etc have that liquid rubber that you can dip tools in to create non-slip handles.  Maybe dip the butt cap in that stuff?  Disclaimer - I have never used the stuff, so not sure how it would react with coating a plastic or how durable it is, just throwing out an idea.  If it was me I would go with option 1... - john

foakes

Call the company — describe the problem.

Either the supplier or Amazon will send you another rod with an intact Butt cap — at no charge.

And...they will not likely want the old one back — because it isn't worth the expense of shipping, packaging, etc.

Then you will have one good one — and one you can experiment with to make it intact.

If the firm won't help you — Amazon will.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Suspect it was an intentional design choice by the company. Bad, but intentional. There are several ways to replace a butt cap with a proper rod but cap but I dont know what your resources are. You could also consider those grippy end caps for walking canes. I suspect one of those would likely be near the ideal inner AND outer diameter.

Or order a cork butt cap with an outer diameter small enough for a rod holder, remove your existing cap get the diameter of the blank and use a paddle bit of that diameter with some kind of cylinder around the middle (the pointy part) that matches the diameter of the butt caps existing pre drilled center hole. I tend to sacrifice a pen for the task, but hole diameters vary just find something that works. That acts as a guide to keep you centered. Spin the drill fast, move your hand slow. Let the drill do the cutting.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

there are several brands of this butt rod cushions for the exact same reason you describe among others.
The Baja Guy

Tuffecs

Yeah, butt was designed that way.

Rod butt outer dia is 1 1/16 = 1.0625 inch = 27 mm.

Will find a rubber cap to fit over the butt.  Saw a couple caps at Mudhole, and the ODs can fit into my sand spike.  Should cap ID be 1 1/16"?  Or a bit under, like 1"?  Or a bit over, like 1 1/8 "?

I'm thinking the same size.  Or does it really matter?

steelfish

those arent normal buttcaps, are big bulky cushions to be used instead of a fighting belt

The Baja Guy

Tuffecs

Yeah, I got one of those.  Use it on deep-drop party boat trips and fishing down to 900' off coast of Virginia Beach.  Very comfy, especially when pulling up good size tilefish.  Can't wait to get out there again.

Sharkb8

For a quick fix you can use a rubber but cap like is used to cover up the gimbals on gamerods ,or replace it with a new one.

Kim

Wompus Cat

If you are Referring to the Butt End Cap or the Sleeve itself  a Couple of drops of Super Glue /Problem Solved  :o
If you are Referring that the Handle gets too slippery to hold then go to Tractor Supply and get a sheet of Stick on Sand Paper Coated Step Plate paper and cut it to fit round the rod then it won't be slippery and you can sharpen your hooks on it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

That's a plug on it now so you have to cut some of the handle material off the base of the blank to get a butt cap on that is slim for a sand spike.   I'd try roughing it up with coarse sand paper anc see if that helps
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Riy2018

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 17, 2021, 12:52:03 PM
Received this new Berrypro surf casting rod from Amazon recently.  Am impressed with quality and price.  Casts well, but there's a slight issue.  When the butt rests on my thigh area while I'm reeling, the butt end tends to slip off.  The end is not grippy.  Material is made of plastic of sorts.  Should be an easy fix.

Can you provide more information on BerryPro? what is the rod size, split? can you cast plugs or weight
thank you