Getting kinda bad.

Started by gstours, September 18, 2021, 04:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

This stuff wrecked more guides and tore up more hands , especially when it made it`s own fish hooks .      .018 stranded 304 stainless steel wire .   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lunker Larry

Back in the early 70's in British Columbia fishing salmon and sea run steelhead I used a VOGG rod and my DAM Quick 330 with 30lb Stren. My tip had multiple grooves in it.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

gstours

I'm not sure if it's still popular, butt lots of trolling on the Great Lakes seemed to be with Monel,  a single stainless steel wire.   Plastic spools were not used on reels as they would split.
  Aftco was making hardened steel rollers and aluminum frames for a while and that is what we used on the Columbia River fishing for sturgeon using 8 stranded stainless steel line and that was my introduction to crimping line ends instead of knots.    The wire having a small diameter and low stretch was good for seeing the subtle bites as generally you had to set the hook in their odd shaped mouth.
  Later spectra came into use and is now more popular.
The hardened roller never got worn as the stainless wire would take the wear.
  The rod guides I showed maybe had Dacron used butt many years of monofilament in trolling.
Another point that might not be noticed is that in trolling the rod surges some especially with lead and flashers/dodgers and the line is sawing up and down the upper guides almost constantly adding to the problem of using "soft" guides.      That's my 2cents upping the Annie.🎣

thorhammer

I think monel may get the most use currently in the Mid-Atantic and Chesapeake, dragging spoons or mojo's for stripers and blues.

Jeri

Quote from: jurelometer on September 22, 2021, 07:40:50 AM
Quote from: oc1 on September 22, 2021, 05:37:37 AM
I'm using Spectra with stainless insert guides and will be proud if I can ever make a groove of my own.

They say to drag a cotton ball or piece of nylon stocking through the guide to highlight a crack or groove.

That was the trick. Thanks.

If you want to wear out some metal rings, you need to wind under heavy load.  It was more of a problem for larger saltwater rods.  

And I never knew of the existence of  the wind-on multistrand wire that Jeri mentioned. Can't imangine anything rougher on guides than that stuff  on a trolling rod.

Always learning something new here.

-J

It was particularly favoured on the south coast of the UK in deep waters with strong tidal flow, when bottom fishing for Cod in winter with big squid baits. It was a 7 strand stainless wire, and with it you could get close to using 50% less sinker weight to hold bottom, than with equivalent nylon. Deep dropping in 50 meters of high flow current was not fun with excess of 1 pound of lead, so the wire option became very popular, though did wreck some early ceramic inserts.

Later used it on jig rods in deep and high current situations where drifting was the only option, a small swivel was crimped to the end of the wire, and then 20 feet of appropriate strength nylon added to add a little elasticity to a near zero stretch situation.

Obviously the situation changed with the advent of braid, but even then the rods needed a change in construction to add a little flexibility into the blanks to allow some elasticity into the system. Something we learned quickly with the change to braid in our surf casting situation, the older designs of very stiff and high strength carbon blanks worked fine with nylon lines, but some even self destructed when used with braid, and the introduction of some lower strength and more flexible carbon into the blank design sorted the problem.

smnaguwa

Decades ago while going to school in Seattle, I did note subtle grooving in my trout/steelhead/salmon rods especially the tip guides. I replaced them with carbide and agate insert guides(predecessor to ceramic inserts?). Only used a few agate insert guides because of cost.