Lamiglas blanks

Started by thorhammer, September 22, 2021, 07:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hi all, I'm seeing a dearth of supply in Lamiglas- not sure if it is covid related or they are getting out of the blank business, but the rod building houses arent showing much listing all- if they just were out, they might read out of stock, but I can't find honey Lami, for instance anywhere...

Seeker is getting scant depending where I look, and St Croix already pulled out of the niche.

Does anyone know what's going on here with Lami? I'd like to get my hands on their two-piece 13'8" 4-14 oz blank in graphite and may another honey glas or two surfers.

John

otownjoe

Lamiglass blanks over 12ft been out since last November when I started shopping for a  surf blank. They had a lot of blanks on clearance at that time. They also had some great deals at Christmas that I wished I pulled the trigger on. The website hasn't changed much the few times I've checked it this year. I noticed mudhole had a clearance on the 13ft seeker blanks last year and doesn't carry them any more. I missed the boat twice and the only options I've found are more expensive than I want to pay.
Joe

thorhammer

oc1

Lamiglas has gone the way of St. Croix.... they moved much of their production to Mexico.  I think it's one of those border maquiladora thngs.  When St. Croix made the jump their blank selection became much smaller.  I'm still pissed about that.  Whatever the dynamics were, Lamiglas may suffer the same fate.

I recently broke (through my own carelessness) a two-year old 11' Lamiglas salmon/steelhead blank.  The model is no longer listed but there was a center-pin, mooching rod with similar specs and slightly less expensive.  I don't know anything about mooching, but the rod casts about as well as the one that broke so I'm satisfied.

Breadfan

I've noticed that they still stock the built GSB's but not the blanks. They haven't replenished any surf blanks to my knowledge since before Christmas. I got into the surf rod business hoping to use their blanks but it looks bleak. I got no response from my wholesale application. I've been using Rod Geeks (St. Croix in Mexico) and it seems they are the only decent mid-priced priced blanks out there right now, with choices. I found a used Honey Lami that I rebuilt earlier in the year and know it feels like I have something that will be soon worth it's weight in gold. It's really sad that they are getting away from selling blanks, some of their blanks are like no other, and can't be replicated.

thorhammer

Ah.....I had looked at Rod Geeks- thanks for that intel about being SC-Mex.

I have about a half dozen honey Lami's and a couple Fenwicks, 9 to 13'8" one piece. Had most for 20 years or longer and they had been around when I got them. Not letting go- perfect matches for my Mitchell 406-402-486-488's, plus a Magnaflex or four.

54bullseye

I had bought 4 Lamiglas ( GSB 120 1M 10' ) they are 17-40 lb rods  3 - 6 oz and called Surf and Jetty. I bought them before Dave Turner "Droppetit" was diagnosed with cancer he was going to make some jig rods with them cutting them down. I have four of them if there is anyone in the North east might be interested. To long to ship.   John Taylor

Breadfan

Quote from: 54bullseye on September 24, 2021, 04:49:10 PM
I had bought 4 Lamiglas ( GSB 120 1M 10' ) they are 17-40 lb rods  3 - 6 oz and called Surf and Jetty. I bought them before Dave Turner "Droppetit" was diagnosed with cancer he was going to make some jig rods with them cutting them down. I have four of them if there is anyone in the North east might be interested. To long to ship.   John Taylor

If I only lived near by you would have already had cash your hands! One piece surf rods are the best. Until you get a price to ship them.