Well this is new

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 23, 2021, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I've never previously seen a live crawfish in Florida outside an aquarium.

Well I found one this morning. Well, my son did. In my garage. I am so very confused. Unless it escaped from a neighbor's aquarium and went for a stroll and got lost. Seriously I'm quite curious. There's no way he came from our retention pond, and it's about a quarter mile to the closest creek

I hear they're great bait. What's the best way to hook one of these?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

Hook em through the tail .Get about 50 of em and boil em with some Cajun Spices .MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Dat's GOOOOOOD!!!
Look around your pond for mounds of Wet Mud  and you got a Den of Mud Bugs there somewhere I betcha.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

A tiny dark colored rubber band. Rather than casting it'ed be a long, sweeping, gentle "loft'.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 23, 2021, 06:47:54 PM
Look around your pond for mounds of Wet Mud  and you got a Den of Mud Bugs there somewhere I betcha.
This.  In some situations (like a rice or taro patch) they are a nuisence that wreck havoc with pond embankments as they tunnel about.  They are like fire ants and are nearly impossible to eliminate.  They're bait for big fish and predators of small fish.

Wompus Cat

Ya gotta be careful not to cast em out and Fall asleep as they will crawl back up the line and Bite you on the Nose !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Ron Jones

I always hook them in the second joint from the tail fins. This lets them swim as naturally as possible. Make sure to not run the hook through the center into the intestine, it kills them right off.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

put a chicken leg in a trap & chuck it in the pond -- in a day or so, you'll know if thar be craws, thar
(round minnow trap is fine if you have one already; sq. craw version is actually easier DIY build)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on September 24, 2021, 03:17:11 AM
put a chicken leg in a trap & chuck it in the pond -- in a day or so, you'll know if thar be craws, thar
(round minnow trap is fine if you have one already; sq. craw version is actually easier DIY build)

I've found beef liver works the best. Lots of blood, it's tougher and lasts longer. You can also tie it to a minnow seine, lay the seine out flat on the bottom for a little while. Pick it up & if they're in the pond they'll be all around that liver.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Benni3

Crawfish are great bait,,,here,,,, :-\ but i don't know down there,,,,, ;) im sure someone has been trying them and you got one,,,,,,,,,, ;D

theswimmer

This is Free mini lobster !
Some of my best childhood memories are from 5 gallon buckets full of Mud Bugs and a bottle of Valentino's .
And some beer .....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

I "hook" them in a pot of boiling water and eat them. Not so good with only 1.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I think I've figured this one out. Mud bugs are uncommon on the east coast where I grew up. And they are non-existent within the city of Tampa, probably due to pollution. But Pasco County where I now live is mostly rural still. Turns out some of the natural bodies of water have plenty of them (I got a list of examples). So maybe the lil fella just got lost, and wandered into the least safe garage possible. I tried him as bait Friday night with no takers. Gave up after an hour. Ya win some ya lose some.

But I remember learning (on here) that crawfish are entirely intolerant of man made pollution. So if they have them in lakes nearby, I can potentially eat the fish from that lake. But with regard to this individual I assume he came from the semi-nearby creek and successfully crossed the roads in between. I will not make the assumption that this find means I can eat fish from our fairly gross retention ponds.
Or maybe I'll just catch a bunch of em and get my stock pot ready.  I do love a crawfish boil.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Maybe just a hitch hiker { bug in the garage }
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

if you collect them manually, by flipping shallow rocks, sometimes you get softshells
completely irresistible if you can keep it on the hook

Benni3

Maybe i can ship you some more,,,,,, ;D