Dam Quick 3000 Champion — Cutaway Factory Dealer Display

Started by foakes, September 28, 2021, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here is a factory dealer sample cutaway reel — on a Dam Quick 3000 Champion.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

::)    Hey Man your missing half a shaft and a screw .. ::)        Nice  Display ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 28, 2021, 11:12:00 PM
::)    Hey Man your missing half a shaft and a screw .. ::)        Nice  Display ..

Yeah, just found the rotor & spool assembly in an old dealer factory bin from about 4 decades ago.

Just need to add a spool arbor, spool shaft, shaft pin, cut-off sideplate — got all the parts.  Just swamped with other things for now.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

curious how petticoats look in a cutaway
any chance of 01/02?   ...just rotor/spool

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on September 29, 2021, 12:01:57 AM
curious how petticoats look in a cutaway
any chance of 01/02?   ...just rotor/spool

Basically, the Petticoat Spool has (1) outer skirted wall & (1) inner Petticoat (slip) wall — one on either side of the rotor assembly.

This prevents any line from going under the skirted spool — and getting wound up in a tangle.

Pretty clever & simple, really.

The '02's with the Petticoat spool are too valuable and far and few between for me to cut one up (1202, 2002, 3002) — excellent reels!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

Fred,
Does an '01' spool fit on an '02' reel? Are the shafts and arbors interchangeable?

foakes

Quote from: PacRat on September 29, 2021, 02:43:16 AM
Fred,
Does an '01' spool fit on an '02' reel? Are the shafts and arbors interchangeable?

Yes, Mike —

Easy switch.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

philaroman

that's too easy  ;D
can you swap ROTORS between 1401 & 2002
i.e., "create" a 1402 & "roll back" the 2002 to all-metal 2001

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on September 29, 2021, 11:20:15 AM
that's too easy  ;D
can you swap ROTORS between 1401 & 2002
i.e., "create" a 1402 & "roll back" the 2002 to all-metal 2001

Might work — the rotors accept the same neck diameter on the frame.

However, the internal Trip mechanisms are different between the 1401 & 2002.  So am not sure without trying it.

For sure the spool spindles would need to be swapped.

The 2002 is a beefier version of the 1401.  Not too much difference — but the gear/frame housing is slightly larger to accommodate the larger main gear, etc.

The rotors should switch — just don't know if everything will function properly.

The engineering, component materials, over-built stress areas, and attention to detail and tolerances built into the combination of — superior materials and a practical design — sets these '00,'01, & '02 reels in a class by themselves.

Any finer reel bought today — with these characteristics — would be at the $300 to $500 level — and likely would still not come up to the quality mark of these last reels produced before DAM left Germany for economical Asian production and lesser materials.

Even after 40+ years — take one of these apart — do a full service and restore — and the tolerances have not moved even 1 Mail — everything functions as new — and is still dead-on.

For me, this is pretty impressive.  These DQ reels never cease to amaze me — even after having well over 5,000 cross my bench.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

That's a cool piece Fred! Do you have main gears for the 3000? Not sure if I'll need one but the 3000 I'm fishing had some brass shavings in the old grease when I serviced it. It seems fine other than a bit of "play" in the main/pinion mesh. I've been catfishing it hard with no problems at all...but just want to be prepared if trouble arises.
   Here's a few pics of the two spinning combos I've used this summer. The Champion 3000 is on a Rippin' Lips Supercat series rod, and the South Bend Classic 935 is on a cheap Shakespeare Wildcat rod. These are two fantastic reels for catfishing! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on September 30, 2021, 01:33:16 PM
  That's a cool piece Fred! Do you have main gears for the 3000? Not sure if I'll need one but the 3000 I'm fishing had some brass shavings in the old grease when I serviced it. It seems fine other than a bit of "play" in the main/pinion mesh. I've been catfishing it hard with no problems at all...but just want to be prepared if trouble arises.

The bronze gear and steel shaft will likely outlast you and me, Mike —

But you are covered, in any case.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.