Spinfisher 700 bail release arm rubbing SS bearing retainer... Can I file it?

Started by williewiskers, October 05, 2021, 01:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

The rotor spins freely when the bail is closed, but drags terribly on the inside of the stainles bearing retainer / bottom rotor cap when its open and until its triggered. I want to file the little nub down on the bail release arm but I dont know why its there. There appears to be some small "hump" in the stainless bearing retainer / rotor shield that "might" assist in raising the bail arm to be tripped by the larger of the 3 bearing retainer screw heads, but im not sure. I know its not supposed to be rubbing. The nub in question is cast with sharp edges and it seems unlikely that contact between the bail arm and the stainless bearing retainer / cap is intentional

Is it OK to file this down until it spins freely with the bail open? Anything I should be aware of? These bail release arms are pretty hard to find replacements for based on a cursory internet search so I dont want to destroy it due to ignorance.

tyia

The Wiskers

foakes

Hi Tyia —

These old Heavy Duty large Spinfishers like the 700 & 704, 706 — generally get some pretty hard use over the years due to fishing conditions, salt, and large fish.  So parts do wear out.

However, on that bail release arm (28-700) — that nub is designed to be there.

My procedure would be to fully disassemble the rotor assembly — then clean all of the crud out of the crevices until the nooks and crannies were as close to original and new as possible.

Then check to make sure that the SS under plate, bearing, bearing retainer, (2) retainer screws & the (1) larger trip screw are all seating properly.

Then determine exactly where the rub is coming from.  

The slight ripple in the SS back cover is supposed to be there.

If it was not rubbing before it was taken apart — then it is just a reassembly issue that needs adjusting.

If it was rubbing previously — then it could be the shield, warped back cover, bail release spring, bail angle lever slot worn, loose pivot pin at the bail release lever, etc.

A good way to determine the rub after cleaning and reassembling — first take out the trip screw to see if that stops the rub.  Sometimes, all that is needed is a new trip screw — or slightly micro file the top of the screw to remove any goobering of the slot that might stand a little proud.

If that is not the issue, and everything is cleaned properly and also seated properly — then use a little peanut butter or a very light coat of grease inside the shield and on the bail release arm to determine where the rub is — then adjust that.

I would not file off the nub on the bail release arm.

Let us know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

williewiskers

Great advise, I'll set about taking everything apart and see what interfearnce remains after its clean and re-assembled. I honestly didnt check the bail function before now as it had a cracked main gear with a broken pin. I didnt check bail function until after I installed the new gear that came in the mail yesterday. Based on the severity of the rubbing on the stainless steel bearing cap I would strongly assume it has been functioning this way for a long time

Ty

The Wiskers

Quote from: foakes on October 05, 2021, 03:38:13 PM
Hi Tyia —

These old Heavy Duty large Spinfishers like the 700 & 704, 706 — generally get some pretty hard use over the years due to fishing conditions, salt, and large fish.  So parts do wear out.

However, on that bail release arm (28-700) — that nub is designed to be there.

My procedure would be to fully disassemble the rotor assembly — then clean all of the crud out of the crevices until the nooks and crannies were as close to original and new as possible.

Then check to make sure that the SS under plate, bearing, bearing retainer, (2) retainer screws & the (1) larger trip screw are all seating properly.

Then determine exactly where the rub is coming from.  

The slight ripple in the SS back cover is supposed to be there.

If it was not rubbing before it was taken apart — then it is just a reassembly issue that needs adjusting.

If it was rubbing previously — then it could be the shield, warped back cover, bail release spring, bail angle lever slot worn, loose pivot pin at the bail release lever, etc.

A good way to determine the rub after cleaning and reassembling — first take out the trip screw to see if that stops the rub.  Sometimes, all that is needed is a new trip screw — or slightly micro file the top of the screw to remove any goobering of the slot that might stand a little proud.

If that is not the issue, and everything is cleaned properly and also seated properly — then use a little peanut butter or a very light coat of grease inside the shield and on the bail release arm to determine where the rub is — then adjust that.

I would not file off the nub on the bail release arm.

Let us know.

Best, Fred

foakes

Hi Ty —

The fact that the gear was cracked — also leads to the fact that this reel was put through some hard use in it's previous life.

Something very well could be stressed, tweaked, bent, or out of adjustment.

No big deal — the culprit will become evident after you clean it up as good as possible — then carefully determine the cause.

Again, keep us in the loop.

Glad to help.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on October 05, 2021, 04:59:16 PM
It looks like the top retaining screw is taller than the others.

Right, Keith —

That is designed as a taller screw because it is the trip for the bail release arm.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

???  It is strange that it rubs in that one place by the foot ..    Can it be a clocking problem on the 3 hole configuration , plate wise ?
       Or is the plate bent/ warped ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

williewiskers

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 05, 2021, 09:29:44 PM
     ???  It is strange that it rubs in that one place by the foot ..    Can it be a clocking problem on the 3 hole configuration , plate wise ?

What you pointed at there isnt a mark from rubbing, that's a "bump" that's in the plate there by design (not 100% sure why). The rubbing is the dark ring on the lower circumference just outside the radius of the 3 screws

williewiskers

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 05, 2021, 09:29:44 PM

Actually right there where you arrow points is the ONLY place it DOESNT rub. lol

oldmanjoe

In that case i would try a rotor shim and see how that plays out .    ??? There is no shim between bearing and plate right .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

williewiskers

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 05, 2021, 11:30:35 PM
  In that case i would try a rotor shim and see how that plays out .    ??? There is no shim between bearing and plate right .

Shim, that's a great idea! Prob the easiest too, if its still rubbing after I clean it thoroughly and reassemble. Curious how it would come to be like this tho, no shim is specified. Ill have to find one that fits from McMaster Carr or something

Ty!

oldmanjoe

Well .....     You don`t know how many times it may have been rebuilt .    Parts get lost or replaced with something that looks like it .
    If the main bearing was replaced , the diameter is rite but the width is narrower , that creates problems down the line .

williewiskers

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 06, 2021, 11:58:03 AM
  Well .....     You don`t know how many times it may have been rebuilt .    Parts get lost or replaced with something that looks like it .
    If the main bearing was replaced , the diameter is rite but the width is narrower , that creates problems down the line .

I do have another main bearing that came with the used parts kit from ebay that came with the new bearing. I will compare the two and see if there's a difference.