Lexa HD 400 spool shaft/pinion gear

Started by Christopher M Songer, October 07, 2021, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Does this look bad? lol Not my reel but never had a Lexa apart before. Pinion gear jammed and stuck on spool shaft. Got the pinion off and the spool shaft does NOT look right. The raised bulb like area looks like where the pinion got stuck. I plan to replace the spool assembly and pinion gear. BUT.... can I file the shaft down for a quick fix. Not my reel. Musky can be hard on tackle. Rethinking a little and may use some fine grit paper on it until the pinion will engage and release.
Always go forward, never go straight

oldmanjoe

???   I would think the shaft would be all one diameter , without the trench in the end of the shaft .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Lunker Larry

It's supposed to look like that.Ive come across this issue with these reels. No need to replace the spool or pinion. Just buff that part of the spool shaft and inside the pinion with emery paper. It will smooth out.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Christopher M Songer

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 07, 2021, 11:16:10 PM
It's supposed to look like that.Ive come across this issue with these reels. No need to replace the spool or pinion. Just buff that part of the spool shaft and inside the pinion with emery paper. It will smooth out.
This is exactly what I did and it runs great. Thanks everyone.
Always go forward, never go straight

Lunker Larry

This problem is still around. I've seen it a couple times but not as bad as the one I did yesterday. The pinion was seized so tight it took about 3 hours to get it off. I couldn't move the spool, no where to get a grip or leverage to get it off. Dripped penetrating oil into the top for a while. Eventually I heated the pinion with one of those little cigarette lighter torches, got a half assed grip on the spool and pulled the pinion off with great effort. Protected the pinion with pieces of plastic so the plyers wouldn't damage the gear.
He must have fished it when it was sticking as the spool pin was bent and damaged. Couldn't straighten it so had to cut, punch out and replace. I think the pinion was not fully seating for a while when he was fishing it and it chewed things up before eventually jamming. Stainless pinion so it nicked it up pretty good.
Can't figure out the reason for that spool shaft design. I've seen a lot of issues with those reels.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Lunker Larry

IMG_20230415_151649.jpgIMG_20230415_151649.jpg

So after what I posted yesterday a guy drops off 14 reels for bass, walleye and muskie. Thought I'd do the bass reels first and chose the shimano Cadtaic. Guess what I found. The other pic is the Lexa spool