Dam Quick 1000 Microlite

Started by foakes, August 10, 2022, 12:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1978.

DQ made bulletproof spinning reels —- but the Japanese makers were making decent reels, and they looked much sharper with colors, plastics, using pot metal alloy gears supported on one side, and fancy names.

The market was going to skirted spools and better balanced rotors.

In order to stay competitive, DQ could have joined the herd —-
or taken the harder road of coming up with a skirted aluminum spool, aircraft grade aluminum, steel & bronze geared, in a microlight sized reel.

They chose the more complicated road —- by coming up with the 1000 —- their smallest and strongest Microlight produced to date (or since).

Instead of cutting corners with plastics, pot metal, coarser and weaker materials —- they figured out the smallest casing possible —- while still using a double supported steel worm drive coupled with a double supported main of bronze and steel.

Careful planning, 100 years of German experience, and exact engineering down to a Mil —- enabled them to keep the best quality components possible —- in a package that fits in the palm of your hand.

The drive train was supported by the highest quality bearing —- plus the gears were not offset to one side —- they were centerline designed and balanced all the way.

These reels were being manufactured to last for a couple of generations —- not to be a throw-away requiring another purchase a few years later.

7.6 ounces, and yet —- all steel, aluminum, and bronze.

Not a lot of these were manufactured due to the shiny competition, a higher price, and economics.

I buy all of these that I can get my hands on.

Possibly the one of the finest Microlights ever built by any manufacturer.

On par with the Penn 716, 420, Cardinal 3 —- however, the more modern skirted aluminum spool for longer casting with no tangles was smooth and cutting edge.

I generally pay $100 to $120 for these reels —- do a complete restore with any parts needed replaced with new —- then sell them for $150 to $200. 

Picked up one really cheap last week that needed some work.

Paid $77 with shipping and tax.

Restored it today with a new bail spring, rubber trip bumper, angle lever, new bearing, full disassemble and restoration, modern synthetic lubes.  Loaded it with 6 pound Trilene XL Smooth.

If someone wants it for $110, no tax, and I will split the shipping —- let me know.  Total would be $115, shipped via Priority to your door.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Fun little reels. They spool and cast 10# braid really well once you shim it properly.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

PacRat

Fred,
If someone doesn't jump on this soon...I will. Especially after that great history you wrote.
-Mike

Balvar24

The Lord has said he'll never allow us to be tempted more than we can resist.  Sometimes my faith is tested.  I just bought 3 Conolon rods on the big auction site last night.  Killing me.

jgp12000

I too am being tempted... my kryptonite

sandbar

If Mike doesn't pull the trigger I have an extra 1202 in box. If you have interest.

oldmanjoe

Huuummmmmmm
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on August 10, 2022, 11:58:15 PMIf Mike doesn't pull the trigger I have an extra 1202 in box. If you have interest.

The 1000 is sold, Steve —-

But I am nearly finished with your reels —- and would be glad to work out a trade for some of the reels and work.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Sold to a member.

Thanks!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

I'll be in contact Fred.
It looks like Joe is having the same issue with double pictures that I am.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: sandbar on August 11, 2022, 09:13:35 PMI'll be in contact Fred.

Naaaaaa  I was second guessing myself .........
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on August 11, 2022, 09:13:35 PMI'll be in contact Fred.

It's been that way since the conversion switchover. If you use the "Attachments and other options" feature and drop your photo in the attachment box and insert it you have to delete "attached photo" in the dialog box. It's a hokey procedure. It would be nice if someone could fix it.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

I just drag the picture in to drop box , than i hit upload .  it turn green than i hit post.

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him