Parts or resurrection 3000 quick

Started by oldmanjoe, October 14, 2021, 02:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Picked it up for parts , a couple 3 voices in my head talked me into it .   The  pictures didn't  look to bad  , the listing stated that it was locked up . Well it's in my hand now and this is what I found . 

The handle wanted to move a little .  The pinion shaft and the spool shaft are frozen together.
      So i popped it open  ::) ::)  .   Surprize surprize  didn't expect this judging from the over all look of the reel .

As of now it is taking long bath in penetration oil 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

That is no hill — for a mountain climber like you, Joe —

Can't wait to see it after you are done.

If you need any parts, just let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

The abuse people bestow on fishing reels amazes me.  ::) Considering its present doctor it will be working like new in no time.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 14, 2021, 05:19:16 AM
The abuse people bestow on fishing reels amazes me.  ::) Considering its present doctor it will be working like new in no time.  :)
Well this doctor does not have access to a autoclave  ::) :-X  so it`s the next best thing i have is the " bubble bath "
   It took awhile but it cleaned up well
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Looks amazing, Joe —

And it will work fine for another 20 years as is.

But I am thinking that it could benefit from these parts — and a bearing, and all new washers throughout.

If this would help, and if you don't already have these parts — I'll send them out N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

This is a testament to the inportance of using GO9D METALS inside a reel. The fact that it cleaned up at all
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Nice so far! I figured the good doctor would do his magic!  :)

Don't forget to promenade the patient once he's completely healed.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Wow, it looked like someone injected saltwater into the gear box and rotor, and just left it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on October 15, 2021, 10:28:26 PM
Looks amazing, Joe —

And it will work fine for another 20 years as is.

But I am thinking that it could benefit from these parts — and a bearing, and all new washers throughout.

If this would help, and if you don't already have these parts — I'll send them out N/C.

Best, Fred
I thank you Fred for the  offer of parts .      As of now the only part that is "maybe needed " is the drag nut .   It did not come with the chrome retainer ring.      I am trying to choose my words carefully , this reel will be Resurrected  .   This reel makes me wonder how is it possible .     The main bearing did not have shields on it and was packed with sand .  After soaking it , I went to buff the shaft clean so i can remove the bearing .          8 inch bench grinder with a wire wheel 3600 rpms          
I am holding the bearing and the shaft is spinning with no bumping or vibration  it spun like a new bearing .   I held the shaft and spun the bearing with the buffer at speed which is a no no with only the penetrating oil residue .     I had to put a little grease on the bearing out of guilt so it won't surface rust

A sand packed bearing and i thought about surface rust , I am still scratching my head in bewilderment .      All the brass parts have a tarnished look to them , no pits all still good .
   The noise damper is iffy it`s still there . I will have a better idea after a dry run fitting .

The paint was worn in places and bubbled up in other places from salt , yet no pitting in the castings .  
     I did stripped off the remaining paint and cleaned up the parting lines in the casting  .     I shot a chrome base coat as of now .........

oldmanjoe

I just shot these with the Metalcast  anodized red .     Once they dry out i will shoot some clear on top .
     I think it will help make it pop , plus the added protection .  Two Before clear top coat pictures one in artificial light and one in day light .
      Than it may be a few day to really dry before I assemble the reel . 

foakes

Looks great, Joe —

Besides the drag nut — let me know if there is anything else you need.

Leaving town for 8 days on Tuesday — so would need to know by mañana.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on October 17, 2021, 11:02:06 PM
Looks great, Joe —

Besides the drag nut — let me know if there is anything else you need.

Leaving town for 8 days on Tuesday — so would need to know by mañana.

Best, Fred
I won't Know until after the first of the month what i will need !!!     My wife and i are going up north to a family gathering .

oldmanjoe

oc1

That's really slick Joe. Why t the chrome base coat instead of some sort of primer?  Or, are they the same thing?