Parts or resurrection 3000 quick

Started by oldmanjoe, October 14, 2021, 02:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on October 18, 2021, 04:32:34 AM
That's really slick Joe. Why t the chrome base coat instead of some sort of primer?  Or, are they the same thing?
Ummmmmm    You know when you use something or assemble something , than you read the instructions .......
     I have used this paint in the past without doing a base coat  .       This Special reel i am trying the base coat and see what happens .
      Hopefully a more even color will result .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Well I put it back together again , it will be interesting to see how long the paint will last  .     
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

That Candy Apple looks pretty sharp! An undercoat gives it a really nice base!  8) Hopefully you gave it a couple of clear coats to make it last.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Sharp, Joe —

What a transformation from junk to another 40 years of fishing!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 03, 2021, 04:16:28 PM
That Candy Apple looks pretty sharp! An undercoat gives it a really nice base!  8) Hopefully you gave it a couple of clear coats to make it last.
The base chrome help a lot and i did spray on two coats of clear ..   Time will tell .

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 03, 2021, 08:10:39 PMThe base chrome help a lot and i did spray on two coats of clear ..   Time will tell .

did you used 2k automotive clear coat or clear aerosol from dupli-color can ?
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

I used clear aerosol from dupli-color

steelfish

ok, I did the same to a shimano torium 16hg that was showing an ugly case of corrosion under the paint on just certain zones of the reel and right sideplate, I will upload some pictures in a chance, I also used clear coat from dupli-color because my friend didnt wanted to spend much on it and eventho I told him that sanding and painting reels is not something I know he told me to do anything on it, whatever you do it will make it look better he said.
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

To be honest , for a working reel I like Rust-oleum  Metallic paint & primer in one .
  It sticks to the metal much better  . clear coat it let it dry for a few days .   Put line back on a fish it .

The last reel picture you can see that the dupli.color does not stick well to the chrome .

steelfish

still many details I didnt bothered to try to fix without having to sanding the whole frame or sideplate, but as my friend said, now it looks 3x better than before  ^-^  ^-^ .

this grey pait was also Rust-oleum metallic for outdoor use 
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

That`s 100% better

Your pictures didn`t load so I drop them here

Milan S

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on October 03, 2023, 05:09:00 AMNice job!
Thank you .    Have you doing any more work on your Dam Quick reels ?

Milan S

For now not. They are in maximum use. At the moment I don't see a way to improve them. The implemented improvements work as well as possible. I have to admit that I spoiled my hand with lighter equipment, but I have the most confidence in this German indestructible equipment. On the other hand, when I appear somewhere on the water, my colleagues find it very interesting and amazing how it all works.