DAM Quick 220 on Steroids

Started by foakes, October 16, 2021, 07:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1979.  It was a time of world-wide transition and innovation for DAM Quick.

The very successful Finessa series of (7) reels were becoming a little outdated when compared to some of the products coming out of Asia.  Although one of the toughest reels ever manufactured — folks wanted a little more flash and bling.

A year before, the (6j reels in the Championship series had been introduced.  These incorporated a very tough and almost indestructible drive system, a sharper look, skirted spools, and more.

But not everyone was sold on the new design...

So DQ introduced this series of (4) reels in the European Market —

It incorporates the best and strongest features of the Championship reel line — with a more traditional design without the skirted spool.  A true hybrid.  

This is the smallest — the 220P DeLuxe Finessa.

This series also included a 330P, 440P, and a 550P.  All were also available in Manual Pickup without a bail.

Very rare in North America — most were European targeted.

This is a seriously tough reel in a very good size for many types of fishing.

In comparison, size wise — are a 1202, a 1001 Microlite, and a traditional 220.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

???   I was just looking at a 440p about a week ago.   It looks a little more refine in the rotor section than the Champion
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Nice. Thanks guy's, wasn't aware of these. Definitely flashier than the older Finessa series. I do prefer the standard rotor to a skirted spool, even with the spool depth/drag configuration disadvantage. Also I dig the idea of having one of those long, hard to pronounce, German words on the reel. What's the 3-way adjustment on the rotor-underneath the spool for? Anything negative about these-P?- series
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

I found  this on the champion ,  I believe the p has a ecentric that changes the spring anchor positions .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on October 17, 2021, 04:40:32 PM
What's the 3-way adjustment on the rotor-underneath the spool for?

The amount of tension on the bail closure. L..light M..medium H..high

FWIW, the "N" series has that function, too.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 17, 2021, 08:30:38 PM
What's the 3-way adjustment on the rotor-underneath the spool for?

The amount of tension on the bail closure. L..light M..medium H..high

FWIW, the "N" series has that function, too.
What looks a little confusing is the bail lock has the look of the n model with the external adjustment

mo65

Wow...my first look at this P series! Thanks always Fred for sharing your knowledge of these fantastic Quick reels! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jurelometer

Also I dig the idea of having one of those long, hard to pronounce, German words on the reel.

I just had to drag out Google translate for some fun time.  One of my faves:
Kupplungslager -> clutch bearing.

Unfortunately  (and fortunately), we won't see this printed on an old Quick spinner.

-J

foakes

Quote from: jurelometer on October 18, 2021, 06:06:53 PM
Also I dig the idea of having one of those long, hard to pronounce, German words on the reel.

I just had to drag out Google translate for some fun time.  One of my faves:
Kupplungslager -> clutch bearing.

Unfortunately  (and fortunately), we won't see this printed on an old Quick spinner.

-J

Here you go, Dave —

Couple of old DQ catalogs — each is 323 pages — about 3 pounds — one in German — and the exact translation in English.

Plenty of cool words in these.

😄😄😄

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Yo gotta give it the German language.  Instead of coming up with a tech sounding acronym or fake techno-babble-speak, they can just call a worm drive what it is, a "Kreuzschnecken-Hubsystem" , and suddenly it sounds  so... advanced.

Makes me feel kinda tingly.

-J

farmer56

Fred  i  know  this an older thread  BUT  can the 220P   be  made  to crank with  the right hand and if so can i buy one  ....  farmer 56 ......      thanks  dennis

foakes

Yes, Dennis —

They can be made to fish with the crank on the right side — providing one has the correct mirror opposite orientation oscillation arm — which I should have.

Only have one, a new or nearly new one (pictured above) — and you are welcome to it if you want it — and I would check on the arm for you tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Can't post photos because of a glitch in the site currently — but it is the one pictured above in this thread.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

farmer56

TJAndrews

Quote from: foakes on October 16, 2021, 07:22:00 PM
The year was 1979.  It was a time of world-wide transition and innovation for DAM Quick.

The very successful Finessa series of (7) reels were becoming a little outdated when compared to some of the products coming out of Asia.  Although one of the toughest reels ever manufactured — folks wanted a little more flash and bling.

My opinion:

Flash and bling on the lure catches fish.
Flash and bling on the reel catches fishermen.

I'm perfectly happy with my 331s and 330.

TJ