Winter chinook troll prize.

Started by gstours, October 28, 2021, 12:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As the cooler temperatures and lesser daylight starts to move our bait away from our area,   The humpback whales begin migrating south and tourism is almost non existent (yea!).  Lots of people switch to duck and deer hunting.    Butt for me I got an invite to fish with a good friend on his boat,  so I jumped at it.   
  The weather had been pretty good until now we planned to go,   We canceled the next day and tried it again.   It was kinda crappy with some rain and wind but we were determined to try.
   The first day in the morning my buddy got this chrome king salmon so that was great.👌
The way we troll is with a deep six diver and a 6 ft leader behind a herring or plug along the shore line.
  Seems like there's more feed and light in the shallow water above 50 feet.

gstours

The following day was blowing 15-30 out of the north and that wasn't going to work.    So after waiting two days more the winds lessened and switched directions.    This was our break,   So we tried again,
   Fished most of the day and no bites,   Butt we saw the shore life.

gstours

The third day we fished hopes were hi,  when we both were about half a thermos of coffee left it happened....   my rod was thrashing and I could not believe my eyes.
   After a great fight we netted this beautiful fish.    It was worth the weathers torment and realized we were just darned lucky 🍀.    We got what we wanted and will eat good again.

gstours

A couple more scenery pics of the day.

Maxed Out

Man, that fish is solid chrome to the tip of the tail. Your persistence paid off in a big way !! Congrats and thanks for sharing gods country with us
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Great fish, Great view , great fun.......Great trip !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

love those winter springs, or feeders (non mature) as its not winter. Nice fish and good eats.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Donnyboat

Thanks for taking us along Gary, that is a really nice fish, I see the lure, you caught it with, did you try many others through the trip, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rancanfish

Definitely makes me jealous.  I'm beginning to think I will never get out fishing again.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

gstours

Thanks for your kind words,   I just wanted to share this trip with you.    These fish are rock hard firm in meat and are very good eating.
   We used whole frozen herring tied on a 40# mono leader about 5-6 ft behind a large plastic diver.  Always with a slight bend in its shape, pinned with a toothpick to keep it rigid.
  The first fish was caught on a bait,  butt the second one swung at a plastic plug, the King Kandy in the whole herring Sardine pattern,   
The
Sardine and Blue Chrome are my favorites up here,    Butt there's other choices and I didn't have time to experiment.🎣

Maxed Out

Hey Gary, what brand of reel is that ?

I love single action reels for salmon !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

Why would anyone fish for salmon with anything else ?? Unless you are Mike !!  ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

👌 ok I'm, in....the reel started as a Quantum mooching reel and was modified by me.   It's a 5.5 inch spool diameter now.   This is a good aluminum reel and has bearings in the spool, a good large single drag washer that has been replaced by carbon fiber, a sst anti reverse dog, and free spool lever,  and a clicker.
    It's just another thing that you can not buy,  butt if you want it,  it's a diy,   For my fishing 🎣
I've fished for salmon with mooching reels for fifty years,  I've made some changes to my fishery and how to.   The larger diameter spool will pick up line faster,  nowhere can I find anything like this,   DIY.🤷‍♂️
   When you need to pick up line there's nothing better than direct drive.   Many don't understand.
        I'm ok with that.🤷‍♂️