Cloning the Kodiak Jig

Started by gstours, October 28, 2021, 01:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I've never thought too much about these jigs,  just a chunk of lead with sharp angled ends.
    Butt I've watched some good fish taken on them,   Soooo I just need to find out what is so special.
These are kinda pricey, and have simple paint skeems, Sooo here is what I've copped up.
   These weigh in around 12 ounces and come from a silicone mold.

gstours

These first two pictures are an original kodiak.
Mine will hopefully be almost as good.   Shown below.
     Maybe too much contrast?  Time will tell.    Repainting is easy.     Time will tell.🎣

Jeri

An option might be to try/consider what a lot of European and British anglers have been doing for year. Chromed tube filled with lead, then cut according to the shape and length/weight you desire. Deep waters, chrome finish should in theory be more effective than painted.

Just a thought.

handi2

That's true because all colors turn gray in deep water. Colors are for the angler..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Yes this jig is fairly easy to make and can be made to the sizing you prefer.
      The ones I've seen to work well at times are simply black.    With a blue and white short skirt.
Bait strips are always used.    To me this is a clue,  maybe the fish is wary 😒 or shy?    Then aroused by the smell and or movement.
   The jig has something going for it in black,    And maybe I missed the boat again by using contrasting colors?       I just dunno 🤷‍♂️.      I wish I just had more time to test everything out 🎣

jurelometer

Interesting stuff, and thanks for posting.   Never enough time to try everything.   It takes discipline to keep swapping test lures on a schedule, and especially swapping out a something that is catching fish in the name of science.   Designing and testing lures is all about catching less fish :)

Now I feel the urge to crank out another long reply.

The short version is that it is possible that contrast inside the lure (bars/ stripes/spots, etc.) works against creating a more easily recognizable profile, so more is not necessarily better.

Long version:

(Note that I am not a expert on this stuff, just a science fanboy).

We need to separate the concepts of color, contrast and profile.

I haven't seen a writeup on halibut vision, but most likely there is no useful color distinction.  There is probably a limited range of cones in the retina that will be used for acuity (sharper vision) as opposed to color recognition.   The remaining receptors in the retina are rods, which provides what we call black and white vision, but actually respond to a fairly wide range of light waves that are available in darker environments, usually blues to violets.  Rods are very sensitive, which means will see more in less light, but not very clearly, like  the less specific, blurry shapes us humans might see in the dark.

Contrast works because the strong  difference between light and dark creates a boundary that can be processed by the next layer in the eye after the  highly sensitive (but not accurate) rod receptors.   A fish looking up toward the surface will be able to more easily pick out a dark object because it will contrast with the white light coming down from the surface.  And vice versa for a fish looking down toward the bottom.  That is why most fish species have a dark back and white belly - less contrast from both above and below.

A profile is the outline, or overall shape of the whole object (lure, baitfish, whatever).  This is the easiest shape for a predator to make out and still be able to make a useful distinction between what might be food vs. a rock or piece of seaweed.  

If you look at the scale layout and bars/stripes/spots on fish, it seems apparent (at least to me) that these are strategies to disrupt the profile.  The scale layout often reflects other objects nearby, from and to different directions, creating a camouflage effect.  If you have ever taken a bonefish out of the water, it suddenly becomes this bright chrome flashing beacon.  But release  the bonefish into the water, and each scale reflects different spots from the sand and weeds around it. Pretty soon, all you can see is the black pupil as it swims away.  

Contrasting upper and lower halves, or stripes, spots, etc.  create a series of contrasting edges, making it more difficult to determine what the overall profile looks like.  Some larger species, including marlin and mahi will switch strategies based on conditions, using more uniform coloration to  blend  against an open water background, but opportunistically "lighting" up a series  of vertical bars that break up the profile, making it more difficult for prey or predator to make out the profile  in closer quarters.

When you paint a lure all one color, you are optimizing your chances of presenting a stronger profile image to your target.  If the color provides strong contrast, even more so.

When you start adding stripes/spots/bars/"lifelike" images onto the lure, you are sacrificing the profile in the hopes that  these colorations will elicit a stronger response.   But you are also applying the same sort strategies that are used by the prey to avoid detection.

I would argue that the more compromised the visual environment,  the more likely a simple strong one color contrasting lure is going to be more productive.  Depending on the situation, this would be usually white, black, or chrome/gold, but as we get into shallower bright but murky environments,  some of the neons come into play as well.  

Moving on to adding payload: the more hooks, assist hook hooches, bait, and so on added to the lure, the more you are messing with the profile and action.  If the fishing dictates delivering a big bait payload,  it is more about getting the bait to the fish, and perhaps the lure adding a bit of vibration or giving the bait a bit of kick, as opposed to the lure being the star of the show.

I would think that an interesting modification to play with on a Kodiak jig with a bigger bait payload, wound be to go with more of a fat bottom.  If you think of the pipe jig Jeri mentioned (which was probably the inspiration for the Kodiak), imagine making a jig from a tapered tube.  I suspect that the Kodiak drops top first when loaded with bait.  This new style would reverse that action, which could make it work better (or worse  :) ) on the drop and then when working the lure.

-J

jurelometer

Maybe something lke this, with a little scallop on the top face only.  A bit of kick on the lift, but still a straight drop.

jurelometer

Or maybe a bit of a gill plate and an eye to improve the appeal to humans :)

gstours

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts,  and I,m learning things here, and generally a "short cutt" is the shortest way to the end.     I only wish I knew now what I should have 30 years ago.🎣
   Yes, I've thought about this kodiak thing a lot,  hence more pictures.
It seems that this jig is just too "plain" to be very popular,  similar to the copper pipe jig.   
   So is the jury still out?   For me learning and making my own stuff is part of the fun.
           Always keep your line tite....     

gstours

Here's another one I've yet to try.    Butt you never know?
   Of these two the octopus 🐙 one had taken some good fish 🎣.
It seems like the slab type jigs in especially a white color with dark contrast would produce a bite when these other types would not.    Maybe you should bring them all,   Butt the jury is still out.🤷‍♂️

Ron Jones

I think I want to be there for the shrimp feed!
I always say that a lure is smashed lead with a hook. Your pictures seem to prove the point.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: jurelometer on October 29, 2021, 08:57:04 PM
That is why most fish species have a dark back and white belly - less contrast from both above and below.

A profile is the outline, or overall shape of the whole object (lure, baitfish, whatever).  This is the easiest shape for a predator to make out and still be able to make a useful distinction between what might be food vs. a rock or piece of seaweed.  

If you look at the scale layout and bars/stripes/spots on fish, it seems apparent (at least to me) that these are strategies to disrupt the profile.  

When you paint a lure all one color, you are optimizing your chances of presenting a stronger profile image to your target.  If the color provides strong contrast, even more so.

When you start adding stripes/spots/bars/"lifelike" images onto the lure, you are sacrificing the profile in the hopes that  these colorations will elicit a stronger response.   But you are also applying the same sort strategies that are used by the prey to avoid detection.

I would argue that the more compromised the visual environment,  the more likely a simple strong one color contrasting lure is going to be more productive.  Depending on the situation, this would be usually white, black, or chrome/gold, but as we get into shallower bright but murky environments,  some of the neons come into play as well.  
-J

For what it is worth, I agree with Dave's post.  It all makes logical sense.  since so much made sense it was hard to brief in the repost.  Keep up the research fanboy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Tanks for your trying to get more pictures from my cluttered bench.....☺️
   I m contractual to Dave's science based ideas,  and I,m catching more fish 🐟 possibly because it's not just luck.🎣
  That said,  most of my jigs are slab type, or octopus 🐙 type, and most are homemade,  maybe the jig is just a sled to attach some bait to?   But some jigs produce and some don't seem to on the same day and depth.     Coincidence,luck,happenstance,  maybe?