What are ya'll using for surf fishing tackle boxes?

Started by thorhammer, November 01, 2021, 04:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

As above....Don't want to give too much detail but I'd like to see a wider response that might yield something innovative from another region. I'm fishing the beaches in NC and curious what people are using- model, size, layout etc. Sound fishing has it's own bag, but primarily I'm carrying lead up to 10oz, metals, hooks / rigs, shock leader spools. I'm still using the same front load Plano hard box with drawers I've had for close to thirty years and fits nicely beside my cooler when I need the cart, but just looking at options for a better mousetrap. Everywhere else I have "plano" boxes, some with seals, that help more with corrosion I think. I do like the open top on the hard boxes for access to ziploc bags of rigs, bigger lead, etc.

John

ReelFishingProblems

thorhammer

Hey- I was thinking of that, since I already have the Engel. Dont need the rod holders.

Keep em coming.

BTW, the CT cage from UK came today. I'll play with it this weekend. Talked to several guys who were all about Akios and Century blanks.....but then I watched them throw, and were magged up so tight I easily passed them 25 yards with 8nBait on the 980 and $110 Beachrunner. so I'm NOT dropping a grand on an outft to lose distance let alone capacity and stopping power. Terrible business model. One dude had an amazing blacked out 980 from a custom shop, and I recognized PC parts.....I said 'hey, I know that guy!". Alan C. is nice dude, calls me up to make sure I like my orders. Then I outcast the dude again :)

jurelometer

Sling backpack and a water bottle.  Don't have to take off the pack to cast.   Leave the cooler and extra tackle in the parking lot.  I think that you  are probably working much longer beaches  :)

-J

thorhammer

Maxed Out

I have a mint condition 40yo UMCO 1000 if you want it John.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

foakes

That is a great box, John —

I would take it, Ted — if John doesn't want it.

My Dad always used steel Army Surplus Ammo cans for surf fishing.  He painted them Insignia Orange so he could find them as he moved back and forth on the beach.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

UMCO 1000U

just a few years ago these would fetch $150 on eBay.

It measures 18x9x9

It has nice aluminum shelves and shelf mechanism. The bottom section is 4" deep when closed, so it would hold reels down there

The shelves stack nice and tight as the lid closes.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

otownjoe

I like to keep it small when I'm surf fishing. I find this Cabela's bag to be the perfect size. The side compartments hold 2-4 leader spools ,there are 2 zippered pockets for pre-made leaders,2 pockets for tools and such. I removed 2 of the plano 3500 boxes and put in one big box for weights. It has held up surprisingly well considering the conditions.

otownjoe

otownjoe

When I'm shark fishing I carry a seperate plano ammo box with every thing I need to safely and quickly release the fish. In Florida this is required along with a shark fishing permit. I like the box because I can keep everything in one place and get help from bystanders to bring the box if needed.

Gfish

A big pocketed vest is what I use, with some waterproof bags or containers. Once I Thought I could chance my old(exterior was all metal) Walkman and got drenched by an over the side rocks wave, no more Walkman. I doubt I can ever find one made like that again.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 02, 2021, 01:14:15 AM
UMCO 1000U

just a few years ago these would fetch $150 on eBay.

It measures 18x9x9

It has nice aluminum shelves and shelf mechanism. The bottom section is 4" deep when closed, so it would hold reels down there

The shelves stack nice and tight as the lid closes.

Another generous offer from a generous dude! I used to have a massive hip roof Flambeau like that. That is in great shape- may be better with Fred as I keep the box in truck and won't have the room to open it, plus that box shouldn't get sand and salt blasted. We had 50 knots last Friday and you couldn't stand it bare legged.

thorhammer

Folks, all good stuff- this is the dialogue I was looking for; keep it coming!

Joe, I have that same Plano bag in the large and xl size- well made. They end up as storage units as they might be 40lbs fully loaded, lol. I have a similar small plano bag that I use for short runs- set up about exactly the same as yours. I love the ammo can idea for sharking rigs. That's perfect for tailrope, light and boltcutters.