Starting Out with DAM

Started by 2Boston, November 05, 2021, 01:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Boston

So the opinion is that my finessa's are 285's from late 50's. Great. Where is the model # on it. How do I know what model it is. Are there no model #'s on the older reels? I'm looking for a way to verify the model. Imaging that I'm trying to prove to someone what the model is and the features I rely on to convince them are ????

I think these reels will be perfect for some Catfishing and Salmon Fishing. What do you think?
I think I will take these apart and spray them as mentioned. Sounds practical.

foakes

Might be on the underside of the spool — the model number.

Many of the earlier DQ reels did not have numbers like 110 through 550.

These were the earlier models such as the Standard, 240 Junior, Finessas 280 & 285, Microlite 265, Super 270/275.

As to painting and restoring these DQ reels — it is not that tough of a job.

Here are a few photos of the process and the finished results.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

Quote from: Riy2018 on November 10, 2021, 08:24:11 PM

oh no. this is too complicated for medical professional  ;D
I will find some one to do it.
Thank you

why?  if you slip up a bit, you rarely hurt more than your pride
reels don't scream, or bleed...  or, SUE   ;)

2Boston

Very impressive shop. I've enjoyed the cleaning of these reels and now I see the model# on the back of the spool. Thank you for that.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: 2Boston on November 11, 2021, 12:13:06 AM
So the opinion is that my finessa's are 285's from late 50's. Great. Where is the model # on it. How do I know what model it is. Are there no model #'s on the older reels? I'm looking for a way to verify the model. Imaging that I'm trying to prove to someone what the model is and the features I rely on to convince them are ????

I think these reels will be perfect for some Catfishing and Salmon Fishing. What do you think?
I think I will take these apart and spray them as mentioned. Sounds practical.
Here is your homework assignment , scroll and click away  .    Google will translate it if you don`t read German .
    http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/rollendam3.html
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

2Boston

My dad used German but only the promotional words when he found me slacking on my farm chores, lol. He wouldn't teach us German. I wish he would've.
Anyway I'll read through this. And I saw a few others here as well. Hey this reel stuff isn't addictive is it.
Now, I need a bail spring for this reel. How shall I order?

2Boston

Do members like this 247 to fish with?  This one is seemingly a Frankenreel.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: 2Boston on November 11, 2021, 02:25:12 AM
Do members like this 247 to fish with?  This one is seemingly a Frankenreel.
???   The spring and washer were under the spool ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

2Boston

Yes. Under the spool. And the clicker thingydingy gear sleeve is all worn and bent. Not really sure how that goes. Would love to know if their are schemAtics of this reel. And I apologize for calling it a Frankenstein reel. When I opened it there was no sign of any water penetration nor any corrosion. It appears to never have been opened. 

oldmanjoe

The spring and washer goes  in the front side of the spool.
    Sandbar has the zip PDF D.A.M. Quick Schematics 2021.zip files in the above pinned post
    D.A.M. QUICK SCHEMATICS — Factory Service & Part Number Shop Manual

foakes

Quote from: 2Boston on November 11, 2021, 02:18:42 AM
Now, I need a bail spring for this reel. How shall I order?

PM me your full name and address, Boston —

I'll get a new bail spring in the mail to you tomorrow — N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

2Boston

I will do so shortly. First I have to wait for you to wake up on the west coast and answer a few questions. O maybe oldmanjoe or others will know. My 247 has a 248 spool on it.  and all the washers at the top are missing, thanks to the schematics I viewed on sandbars post. it is obvious that the spool had snapped in half right through the middle and the cork is missing though I'm not sure the filler corks were used on this model. I feel like I should just replace the spool and get all new washers just to be safe. I have the spring. I have the two washers that go below the spring. The clicker gear where it engages the shaft is beat up and doesn't engage the tiny crossbar. Pictures below.

Wompus Cat

I don't see a link Joe refered to so here is one

LINK TO DAM SCHEMATICS
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

2Boston

OldmanJoe that was mean of you.....not a good way to treat a new member. Now that I've completed your assignment I'm doomed. Swept away. I'll never recover...might as well become a collector.
Gosh, What cool reels. I went back to spincast this year after a 50 yr hiatus. I use spincast for bass size on down. I really liked the DAM spincast reels but I was clobbered by their fly reels, golly, Theyre awesome.
Thanks for the link!

2Boston

Thanks
Wompus!
I got them both and the 247 was missing. Is that by chance because they were identical to the 248?