Hello out there

Started by Squidder Bidder, November 09, 2021, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidder Bidder

Hello and Aloha.

As the new(est) guy I would like to take the opportunity to say hello and introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while, bouncing from thread to thread (the forum's content comes up a lot when you search particular real models and parts).

I suppose it started for me one Christmas when I received a Penn Long Beach 60 with a matched Penn rod. I would guess I was 7 or 8 on that Christmas. I grew up like many people fishing the back bays, jetties, surf, as well as from the many party boats of Central and South Jersey where Penn conventionals are the standard. I even made it to Penn headquarters on West Hunting Park Avenue a time or two for parts many years ago. I've accumulated a good number of Penn reels over the years in the process.

As I got older my attention turned to offshore fishing. More recently, the arrival of some munchkins has returned my attention to more family friendly inshore fishing.

So a few months ago I was matching a new St. Croix spinning rod with an old 4500SS that I had and discovered that the handle was locked. Curiosity led to me opening the reel up and discovering that the culprit was a bent spool shaft. (How does such a thing happen?) It wasn't long after that I found my way to mysticparts.com to order a replacement, a new drag stack and a few other goodies to make her like new. I viewed some videos from Dennis of Second Chance Tackle prior to the replacement in order to get an idea of what I was up against.

So after a successful operation on the 4500SS, my curiosity took me to ebay and some damage to my AmEx ensued. Every couple days a new ebay box with a Long Beach, a Squidder or a Jigmaster greeted me at my front door after work. Thus far, I've refurbished five Long Beach 60s and added carbon fiber washers, upgraded to the Bryan Young aftermarket drag stack and ProChallenger ss sleeve for one, and refurbished a vintage Penn 26 Monofil with green side plates. So now I have some cleaned and polished Squidder and Jigmaster parts and look forward to some more extreme modding with a little guidance from the crew here.

Since the nature of the forum seems to be the exchange of information, I suppose I could start with a question or solicit a suggestion. I've had a few vintage Penn reels come in to me where the pin in the brass gear sleeve is really difficult to drift out. Unfortunately I ruined a gear sleeve with a 1/16 punch, ovaling out the pin hole and probably peening the pin in its place. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand and size of drift punch that works on the pins in the gear sleeves of the smaller Penn reels? If there are any suggestions for improving the process of knocking the pin out it would be helpful as well. Note that I have soaked the sleeves and bridges in penetrating oil for 24-48 hours, which didn't seem to make much difference in terms of loosening the pins.

Thanks.

Wompus Cat

Welcome from Laguna Park Texas .
On the pin in the Bridges. I Look carefully to see which end is closest to the surface then drive it out from the opposite side as that is the way it went in
You need a GOOD Quality Flat punch just a Tad smaller than the pin .Never had one I couldn't remove.

The reason you want a Flat punch is to keep from swelling the pin  when you hit it
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Hello from SE FL.        Rudy

Benni3

Welcome from Salem va,,,,,,, ;D

kjdunne

Welcome from a fellow S Jersey Penn fan (and Quicks too).  I do much of my fishing within sight of Old Barney.  My favorite fluke and black sea bass reel is a Peerless 9.  You'll get all the good info you'll need here...

Kal

Maxed Out

The brass pin in the gear sleeve always comes out easy if you press it out from the correct side, while the other side is much more difficult. If it doesn't want to move very easily, then try the other end of the pin. I don't have a punch, so I just use a tiny allen wrench and lightly tap on it till it pops out enough to grab with pliers.

Hope that helps

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Sharkb8

Welcome from south Australia

Kim

Brewcrafter

Welcome from the SoCal Inland Empire.  For those pins it definitely helps to drive it from the correct side.  Ted's allen wrenches are good; I have a selection of fine wire nails that I have ground the tips flat that work pretty good. - john

Donnyboat

I been knocking my pins out with a broken drill bit, nice to have you with us, welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Decker

I like your moniker, "Squidder Bidder."  I'm recovering bidder myself, and about a week clean at this point. ;D

Penn

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on November 09, 2021, 08:11:34 PM
Hello and Aloha.

As the new(est) guy I would like to take the opportunity to say hello and introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while, bouncing from thread to thread (the forum's content comes up a lot when you search particular real models and parts).

I suppose it started for me one Christmas when I received a Penn Long Beach 60 with a matched Penn rod. I would guess I was 7 or 8 on that Christmas. I grew up like many people fishing the back bays, jetties, surf, as well as from the many party boats of Central and South Jersey where Penn conventionals are the standard. I even made it to Penn headquarters on West Hunting Park Avenue a time or two for parts many years ago. I've accumulated a good number of Penn reels over the years in the process.

As I got older my attention turned to offshore fishing. More recently, the arrival of some munchkins has returned my attention to more family friendly inshore fishing.

So a few months ago I was matching a new St. Croix spinning rod with an old 4500SS that I had and discovered that the handle was locked. Curiosity led to me opening the reel up and discovering that the culprit was a bent spool shaft. (How does such a thing happen?) It wasn't long after that I found my way to mysticparts.com to order a replacement, a new drag stack and a few other goodies to make her like new. I viewed some videos from Dennis of Second Chance Tackle prior to the replacement in order to get an idea of what I was up against.

So after a successful operation on the 4500SS, my curiosity took me to ebay and some damage to my AmEx ensued. Every couple days a new ebay box with a Long Beach, a Squidder or a Jigmaster greeted me at my front door after work. Thus far, I've refurbished five Long Beach 60s and added carbon fiber washers, upgraded to the Bryan Young aftermarket drag stack and ProChallenger ss sleeve for one, and refurbished a vintage Penn 26 Monofil with green side plates. So now I have some cleaned and polished Squidder and Jigmaster parts and look forward to some more extreme modding with a little guidance from the crew here.

Since the nature of the forum seems to be the exchange of information, I suppose I could start with a question or solicit a suggestion. I've had a few vintage Penn reels come in to me where the pin in the brass gear sleeve is really difficult to drift out. Unfortunately I ruined a gear sleeve with a 1/16 punch, ovaling out the pin hole and probably peening the pin in its place. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand and size of drift punch that works on the pins in the gear sleeves of the smaller Penn reels? If there are any suggestions for improving the process of knocking the pin out it would be helpful as well. Note that I have soaked the sleeves and bridges in penetrating oil for 24-48 hours, which didn't seem to make much difference in terms of loosening the pins.

Thanks.

Hello from West Hunting Park Ave  :D

tony

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Greetings, SB, from Minnesota.

Frank