Which Penn model hits your weak spot?

Started by Shellbelly, November 11, 2021, 05:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Here is one from an orca old issue

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Hard choice but the 349 is so strong, with the double posts side by side, I think the next set of double posts, are in the 14/0, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Shellbelly

I appreciate all this input.  I hope to see more.  I'm a bit relieved that it's not just me.  I'm waiting on my 3rd, 1st gen Sailfisher to get here  and I just got my 4th 249.  Add in the younger Sailfishers and those two models are almost 10% of my collection and 130 comprises almost half of my spare parts.

Everybody has their favorite(s) aside from the scarce, rare, holy grail models and parts thereof, that we all look for.

During the previous year, my reels have multiplied beyond what I expected but my collection isn't "mature".  Much of that has to do with the predominant market place we have to choose from...and some discipline issues I have when I see sparkly things.  Being a decade late to the game doesn't help either.

It's a rewarding hobby none the less and this type of forum is a fantastic resource for information and input.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Decker

In order:

• Mag 970 - One of Sal's favorites, and he convinced me.
  • Squidder, especially the 145, 146 - Such a cool, popular and customizable reel.  Great for surf fishing.
  • Senator 113H - Have seldom fished one, but love all of the customizations. "The Tank" 
  • Baymaster 180 - Have a bunch of these that I want to beef up.  Picture plates especially.

Rancanfish

My first Penn was the standard fare for a fisherman around local waters.  The many variations of a Penn Jigmaster.  What a versatile reel to start with eh? 

Like Joe, I love the squidder too.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

basto

Mine are

2/0 Senator

Long Beach 66

Long Beach 60

180 Baymaster
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

kjdunne

It's the Peerless #9 for me.  My favorite for inshore and bay fluke fishing.
Still on the lookout for a 1/0 Senator in fishable / fixable condition...anybody have one they'll part with?

Kal

Hardy Boy

I love the old Internationals. Ever since I was a kid. I have other penns : 210, 320, 330 , 113H EN, 113H YTS, 113H , 113H EW, 114EN, 114H etc but I still love those internationals the best.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

oc1

I'm with Tommy and Fred.  716 greenie.  Been looking for an affordable 955 for a few years but "affordable 955" seems to be an oxymoron.

quabbin boy 62

49l, 9m, 710z, 704z, 706z. i don't have any shelf reels yet, maybe next year    :)

54bullseye

I have always liked the early 130 Internationals !!    JT

David Hall

Love the senators, jig masters and squidders because they are just so much fun to play with.  I have at least a dozen of each of them and kits and parts to hot rod more.
But when I see Gold I lose my mind.  Truly I get gold fever. And I have fewer of these than anything else I cant help myself I just love them internationals.

UKChris1

A 9/0 Senator with a red or a green handle - goes back to my earliest days sharking in the UK

Any 349 - just such a solid reel

Older Internationals but especially the 130, though too rich for my pockets  :D

Ron Jones

I love the 180, a 100L spool that doesn't explode. Right now, I'm dreaming of having Cal Sheet's do a Super 12 2 speed on a International 6, probably the right strength, capacity for the braid it can be fished at. Would be an amazing bait reel and I think I could get it done for less that a new wiz bang.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mjg378

I love the 113N (with the Cortez bridge assembly and Alan's 5/0 grip!)  Then there is the Gold Penn VSX series,  yep, definite weak spot.
Ron, take a look at the 12 vsx! Might fit your operation.  Of course finding them at a reasonable price lately reminds me of trying to find the old needle in the haystack...
Mike