Rodanthe, NC recommendations

Started by jason_purdy, November 16, 2021, 03:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

Hello all,

I'll be in Rodanthe, North Carolina in early December. I've never been to the area before and wondered if you all had any pointers. I've surf fished extensively throughout Florida and some up in Virginia Beach. My plan now is to bring a mix of surf rods (9' -12') and a few light combos. I don't have the traditional Carolina Heaver for "8 + bait" but can still cover some water.

I plan to stop in and Hatteras Jack's and contribute to the local economy in exchange for some pointers. In the surf I'll look for cuts in the bar of holes on low tides and come back on the incoming to fish. I'll stagger baits (mullet, shrimp, bloodworms) and use a light outfit for throwing lures in the surf. I may make the drive up to Oregon Inlet but not sure. I know water temps will dictate the fishing in the surf. Any other advice that the OHANA can offer? Thanks in advance. I'll make sure to post reports regardless of the fishing.

-Jason

wailua boy

I'll be there next week for 5 days, although it'll be my first trip also. If I can get any intel, I'll pass it on.

thorhammer

Edited for my accent, per Decker's request. We drawl out an R, and drop a last letta.

Y'awl want to do a conference call? That's my redneck o' the woods.

I carry way too much stuff, cause I'm on AT  ;D

But to cover most fishing:

12' 8-n-bait capable conventional with 20 0r 17 mono on 980 and 525 Mag, and 50lb shock leader about 16'.  Mostly throwin six oz.,but it can change quickly depending on where you are. Take a spool of 50 with you- it was sold out of erry store when I was down there a couple weeks ago, with supply chain issues like erewhere else.

10 and 12' heavy spinnas, with 9500 and 850 SS loaded with braid if the wind is utterly misable (also stated as "its hawkin' hard", in reference to theAnnie Hawk), or night fishin with head wind. Of course, these work during the day. I just like throwin thum-burnas.  

10' lighter conventional with SHV 20, ABU or 525 with 17 mono and 40 shock for throwing 4-5 oz, either drum- rigged or fireball with circle hooks.

10' and 12' medium spinna with 20 and 30 braid, and 560 Slamma. 10' is used for 2-3 bait on flounda, sea mullet, etc. The 12' is for 2-3oz metal.

I will usually tote a 8-9' spinner with a 4500-5500 size reel, and 20lb braid for gennel purpose: Mirrolures, small metal, flounda rig or fishin close in the slough, tho the 9' will hit a hunnert yards easily with 2oz, if not a lot of wind. This is also useful if you go stompin 'roun in the sound with a poppin' coke and the trout bite has been on.

Some old drum are caught off Rodanthe pier, so you could fish that as well with your heavia spinna and a 6oz without needing a heava (weatha dependin).

the Hatteras Jack site is not what it once was, so I'm not sure what Ryan has going on. I didn't stop in as I was down in Avon which is only another 15 minutes.

Also check the fishin reports from Frank n Frans in Avon (last two WR drum were Avon; David Duel's rod and reel and the mount of the current record are on display in FnF's), Red Drum Tackle in Buxton (AMAZING shop, with full service rod building on site), and Frisco Rod n Gun.

There is a new shop on the right side of the Causeway going into Nags Head where Whalebone used to be. they have so much crap in there you can barely move in an aisle, but it's top notch. Don't recollect the name.

The shops will have tackle you need specific to the area, but mainly: 4,5,6,8 oz lead; metals- Stingsilver is great in chrome, gold and pinks, and Hopkins, but there are locally made leads that mimic glass minnows (all the shops carry them). Pink n white with silver or glow stripe is hot; drum fishfinda slides; get the heavy slides, the light ones snap if you lean into 6 oz or above; 4/0, 6/0-8/0 circle hooks. I use Gami octopus mostly because I like the gap, Owna and EC make good ones as well. Fireball rigs, med and small. I use small circle hooks, like a 4, on the small fireball rigs for sea mullet and pomps, pinned through a skrimp piece SHELL ON. It will stay on, and no one eva peeled a skrimp and fed it to them. They are used to eating shells, i.e. they LOVE sand fleas, and it will stay on the hook a lot better.

Check NC creel limits, and note you will need licenses unless on the pier, and permit to drive on beach should you decide to.  

John

thorhammer

Also- don't bet against low tide. I normally don't fish it very hard, but last trip the gents with me were killing flounder, pomps, small black drum and sea mullet in the slough at dead low, and the mullet were pouring through in a couple feet of water. That could chang eas water temp lowers, but just saying.

Also: A fresh sea mullet chunk makes a great drum bait. Matching the hatch.

1badf350

Agree with everything Thorhammer said.
I will add that the wind can make or break your day. Anything N around to E will be a good day. Especially on the pier. For the big drum your gonna want Spot heads or cob mullet heads.
If you're surf fishing and can't find a cut or get your cast across the bar, fish close to the shore with finger mullet chunks, squid, or shrimp for puppy drum. When I say close to the shore I mean CLOSE.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

Ok yes a mag 525,,,,, ;) and rods are pricey,,,,,, :-\ you could go with vintage if it worked 30 years ago it will still work now,,,,, ;D

thorhammer

What Chris said- my boys catching in the slough were barely making distance I'd throw spinnerbait for bass.

To Benni's point- I had a very nice guy next to me with a reel bag full of jools- custom Abu's, Zangi, several Akios's, etc. He was fishing an high-end Akios on a Century- over a grand for that combo. He made a nice cast. Then I bypassed him with the old 980 and a hundred dollar Beachrunner by 25 yards...I had been looking at FathomCS, Squall, building out an Abu, and found a unicorn MIB green 6500C3CT. It was too pretty to fish. I went fishing with what I had, and rembered just how well the Magpower's throw. And the 525Mag still gets it done. Distance is limited by my rusty technique, not my equipment. I have two other 525GS and three 535's so I may play with them, but no more than I get to go I'm not diming out a grand per rig. Not to mention a whole lot of fish were caught on Squidders for their 80-year production run. I do have a rod project in the works, but it's want rather than need.

wailua boy

I was surprised to learn a beach driving permit is $50, guess I'll bite the bullet on that one.

Decker

This is a definitive posting!  All that is missing is the accent.

Haven't been to the Outer banks in a while but each time has been memorable. 

Good luck, guys!

jason_purdy

This is great! Thanks John, Chris, Brandon, and all the rest for the information and pointers. And John, your accent edit on your post is hilarious   ;D

-Jason

Mjg378

It's been a few years since I fished North Carolina, but they had some strict circle hook laws  targeting Drum.  Might be worth checking before you buy tackle.  Hope you catch some big uns!
Mike

thorhammer

Yeah, there was somethin, especially fishing ole drum in the sound and up river about requiring Owen Lupton rig during spawnin season (which is past). It's a circle hook snelled to five inches of mono with an aigg sinka crimped in place with beads on either side- not a surf rig. Circle hooks BY FAR are better for fishin bait, especially if you're a sand spike beer dranka.  Any pre-made rig you buy for drum is gonna have circles, period, in any case. As stated previously, I even use them in minature on the panfish rigs. That itty-bitty Owna mutu will snatch his aiss if he even smells the bait close-hand, the pernt bein, I can drank my Natty at the same time.

Decker

Oh, man, he's off the chain now ;D

You guys are great!

thorhammer

Truth be tolt, that's finnettikly accurate. Most people outside my hometown can't really unnerstand my brother. The upside: we don't much need the subtitles while watching Swamp People. Interestingly, growing up 15 miles from the Southern Virginia border, there is a distinct difference in accents, which actually lessons as you get toward Richmond. Now, getting down to Ocracoke is an entirely different proposition- they have Hoi Toider brogue down that way. Very cool to hear.

Decker

I've always been interested in accents.   Found some good videos on Youtube about the Hoi Toiders.    To me the appeal of "Wicked Tuna North and South," beyond the fishing, has been the cultural mix and clash.  Interesting how the seafaring cultures from different parts of N. America, can be so individually strong and peculiar. When I hear those Newfoundland swordfishermen, it sounds very Irish.   I lived in Boston for some time, and there is an Irish brogue in East Boston that seems to be alive and well.  But in general, accents seem to be disappearing.

Here is a short video that gives a taste o the Outer Banks: