Penn 710Z Spool Slack ?

Started by Wompus Cat, November 25, 2021, 07:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Well I got into Penn Spinfishers recently and am re doing them an d have a Question for you Pennanites.

I have this 710 Z and it has at least a quarter inch of slack in the spool in and out in most any position and the bush is on the gear so that is not the problem. I also  have a 704 Z with  almost ZERO Slack.
Is it normal for the 710 to have all this slack and when you reel it with out a load on it it sounds like an old Hit N Miss Engine out in the oil field. The  Spool jumps back and Forth Spool making a resounding wop wop wop noise .

The first pic. shows  the mechanism in one spot and the second is where I just pushed in on the Spool not moving the handle at all.

What Gives eh ? Thanks
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

I am Wondering maybe  if the shaft is too long causing the slack ?
Any body maybe have a length. ?

Gfish

Interesting. What you said would be the most obvious thing. Since I ain't godda 710, will wait 'n see. What about the arm connecting the shaft to the gear( called a "slide" in my 330/331 manual)? Could that be the wrong size?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Well that's reely all I can think of is the Arm or the Length of the Shaft .
Don't have any to compare here .MIGHT have some in my containers of pieces....lol

May have to just buy another one and see if it has all the slack too or if it different .
Thanks Gfish

oldmanjoe

Tighten up the slop between arm and spindle and you will be happy .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 26, 2021, 12:13:09 AM
 Tighten up the slop between arm and spindle and you will be happy .

Well they ain't no slack . But Thank you for your input .
If that picture is a 710Z you have  could you do a Brudda Solid and measure the length ?

The one I have is 4.95 " or 125.7mm

oldmanjoe

I have the same measurements you have .    I have .008-.010 up and down movement .   Arm stays 90 degrees all the time to the spindle , yours looks like it is not holding the same in the pictures .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

oc1

It could be the wrong spool.  The 710Z soppl has about the same diameter.

oldmanjoe

What you have pointed is were i get the .008-.010 , were i have the screw driver pointed is were you are getting 1/4 inch slack from .                          Tighten the screw to keep the rocking motion down to a minimum of 90 degree  .      Not the 85 through 95 degrees that your pictures show .

foakes

Is the crosswind roller in place on the main gear where it screws through to the crosswind arm, Henry?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

The grease tracks says  the bushing is in place .   The cross slide moved more than a hundred thousands and the crank pin is still in the same place ! 
      Comparing the two pictures , look at the angle changes at the cross arm and spindle .

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 26, 2021, 03:47:25 AM
 What you have pointed is were i get the .008-.010 , were i have the screw driver pointed is were you are getting 1/4 inch slack from .                          Tighten the screw to keep the rocking motion down to a minimum of 90 degree  .      Not the 85 through 95 degrees that your pictures show .

Joe ,you were RIGHT on the Money . I did not have that screw as tight as it would go . What a difference .I never thought that would make that much slack . I just didn't understand .
Thanks

Quote from: foakes on November 26, 2021, 04:14:40 AM
Is the crosswind roller in place on the main gear where it screws through to the crosswind arm, Henry?

Best, Fred

Yes sir I it is in position .
It was the screw in the arm that was not tight enough like Joe said in the first place and I just didn't get it .

Wompus Cat

Cleaned everything filed a few rough spots on top of shaft and bottom of spool ,cleaned the threads up in that Arm ,put it all together,Tightened the retaining screw down solid where the shaft don't got NO SLOP and she is SMOOOOOTH as silk and hardly ANY slop in the spool now ..Thanks everybody especially JOE.

oldmanjoe

;D   Slack slop  We`ll get there eventually ........   I knowed you would be happy with the results  ;)