Tyrnos 12

Started by Tidetime, January 25, 2012, 03:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidetime

I have 2 12s that I am going through and doing a standard service, dawn has already sent the new drag washers (what a difference from the spongy stuff that is in there) and I was thinking about changing the drag washer configuration on one, just to see the difference.  By looking at the diagram, I am assuming I need to order a new "coned disc spring" TGT0020.  Anything else that I need to do to improve the drag at strike?  I read through the Tld thread about shimming the drag plate, can that be done on the tyrnos?    These reels will be used primarily for jigging in the GOM.  65lb spectra.  Thanks for any advice.

alantani

i'd leave the belleville washers in the stock configuration and see how much drag you get with the new washer, then change the bellevilles around if you need more.  i think it's generally good to only make one change at a time.  so much of what we do here is in uncharted territory.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tidetime

Sound advice,  One last question, I installed the new washer and it didn't want to sit flat against the spool with the screws tightened down.  I assume it wouldn't really be a problem once the drag plate applied a little pressure.  Is that a correct assumption?

coastalobsession

Quote from: alantani on January 28, 2012, 12:23:59 AM
i'd leave the belleville washers in the stock configuration and see how much drag you get with the new washer, then change the bellevilles around if you need more.  i think it's generally good to only make one change at a time.  so much of what we do here is in uncharted territory.
X2
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani

Quote from: Tidetime on February 01, 2012, 09:57:36 PM
Sound advice,  One last question, I installed the new washer and it didn't want to sit flat against the spool with the screws tightened down.  I assume it wouldn't really be a problem once the drag plate applied a little pressure.  Is that a correct assumption?

that should be the case.  funny that it would not lie flat, though.  maybe bryan will chime in.  he's had more of these apart than me. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tidetime

Without the hardbacking the factory washers have I didn't see any way to prevent it from coming up just a bit on the outside edges of the washer. Initially I thought I had over tightened the screws but, when I put it back together the metals screws holding the washer in were making contact with the inner diameter of the drag plate.  Took it back apart and tightened them back down and seems to be working ok...tied to a trailer hitch at least. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tidetime on February 01, 2012, 09:57:36 PM
You are correct, it doesn't sit absolutely flat with the screws tightened down, but will lay flat when you install the drag cover...at least it's supposed to.  I don't absolutely know but in theory, that is what supposed to happen.  I believe that is what you are seeing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D