D-A-M Quick, Penn, Cardinal, & Mitchell — Spinning Reel Parts

Started by foakes, November 29, 2021, 08:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This morning, as I was finishing up a couple of Cardinals for a client — it occurred to me how fortunate it is that even the smallest parts are organized and in my parts bins for others and myself.

Most of these parts are New Old Stock from between the early 50's to late 80's.

A guess would be just for the DQ's — around 300,000 parts.  Lesser amounts for Mitchell, ABU, Cardinal, Penn — but still massive supplies.

Even the smallest part will stop a reel from functioning properly — if not available.

Needed left and right side bail springs for an eBay special Cardinal 3.  Just went to the bins and got the springs.

My parts are organized into (5) basic categories — first, Brand — second, model — third, large parts — fourth, small parts — fifth, used parts.  All according to part numbers.  Bins are color-keyed, numbered, and clearly labeled.

And then hundreds of complete reels are also organized similarly.

I am indeed a fortunate son — to be able to be the current caretaker of these parts for others and clients who send in reels for restoration & service.

About a year ago, I made the decision to just specialize in DQ, Penn, Cardinal, & Mitchell spinning reels — instead of every type of reel that came across the bench.  Seems like the work increased about 100% as to reels being sent in.

If anyone needs parts — they might be here.  Just let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

You are Certainly THE MAN for those parts friend and I appreciate all you have done for me .
If I were to live to the age of Methuselah of 969 I doubt I could get  my Car parts as organized as you have your inventory .....lol

Especially after moving the shop 3 times in 45 years and the last time having to store stuff five years in three different places and a container or two .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Yeah, Henry —

I just consider myself the temporary caretaker of these parts for now — from the (4) decades that are considered the "Golden Age of Spinning Reels" by most experts.

When I move on, these will go to our members.

In the meantime — good to have them available for our members.

Also — parts are nearly worthless — if they are not organized in some fashion — that will be easy for either the user, or a new person to access.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Yup.
I think Henry nailed it for me, room to have all like things in one place. I have tools in 3 different areas of the house. Can't even fit my medicine cabinet stuff in one place.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Back in the day like 1950's part stores you could go in and say I need a kunnutin rod and chingadera for a 41 Rollscanhardly
and the guy would walk back grab a couple and bring back and put em on the counter.
Thats me now . I KNOW where it is and what it is but God Help the poor guy that try's to figure it out when I go.....lol.

Use to a Good Parts man knew what the part did and how it worked .Today they ask for serial numbers , cc,cubic inch displacement ,auto or standard ,hybrid ,non hybrid ,Moms IQ, occupation , type of tires on vehicle ,and all kinds of stuff just to get a quart of oil and if you want a straight weight oil they have to order it .

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 01, 2021, 12:26:22 AM
Back in the day like 1950's part stores you could go in and say I need a kunnutin rod and chingadera for a 41 Rollscanhardly
and the guy would walk back gram a couple and bring back and put em on the counter.
Thats me now . I KNOW where it is and what it is but God Help the poor guy that try's to figure it out when I go.....lol.

Use to a Good Parts man knew what the part did and how it worked .Today they ask for serial numbers , cc,cubic inch displacement ,auto or standard ,hybrid ,non hybrid ,Moms IQ, occupation , type of tires on vehicle ,and all kinds of stuff just to get a quart of oil and if you want a straight weight oil they have to order it .

Here! Here!  :D  I wanted a price on an installed & balanced set of tires for my pickup from Discount Tires. I gave them the make & size of the tires I wanted the price on and they wouldn't give me a price unless I told them the year, make & model of truck. I asked if he seriously needed all that info just to sell me a set of tires & he wouldn't budge. Ended up buying a set of Wranglers @ Walmart & saved $170.

You guys out on the left coast aren't going to have to deal with his much longer, I hear, but here you can't even buy a part for a lawn mower or tractor without the model & serial number & then they have to figure out the part number. "Geez, all I want is a 3.25" idler pulley w/ a 3/8" center hole. Are you kidding me?" "Nope, we need the make & model #." Seems pretty silly to me since there are only about 5 mower manufacturers & 3 or 4 motor manufactures. Lesson learned, keep track of your original manual with the schematic & part #s for as long as it is running. I suppose you'll have to do the same things with those electric jobbies.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

A lot of times when I would ask for a set of Valve Cover Gaskets for a Small Block Chevrolet and they wanted to know what it was in I would just say .It is in a 49 Studebaker Pick-Up. To which they would say dat motor (which is technically and engine)
didn't come in a 49 Studebaker . Well  it is now I built the Damned thing and just sell me some VC gaskets for a small block Chevy and get over it .
For those that don't know , Small block Chevy engines have the Same Valve cover gaskets from 53 1/2  to around 1958 when they changed the bolt pattern but everything afterwards up untill recently had both sets of holes punched in the Gaskets and it made absolutely ZERO Difference whether it had air or power steering nor if it was in a 49 Studebaker or 71 Mercedes 280 SE and yep I did that too and a Few Jaguars. Blasphemy on the Benz but a marked improvement on the Jag ....lol
Not to take ANYTHING away From Fantastic Fred's Supreme Organization of which I am well impressed  just prob won't live long enough to accomplish anything close to it so I just hunt and peck for things I know I have somewhere or go buy 2 more to lose.

Swami805

That's funny, my mom had a jaquar with a 12 cylnder engine, it was great on the 2 days a month it ran right. Yanked that motor and put in the chevy mill problem solved, jagrolet.
The chainsaws we get now have a port to plug into a computer program, can't even tune them yourself anymore.  In a few more years we won't be able to buy gas saws. Progress? I guess?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

foakes

Quote from: nelz on December 01, 2021, 04:27:20 AM
Fred, curious as to why Daiwa parts didn't make the cut?

I have maybe 8 or 9 shop service manuals for Daiwa, Nelz —

But Daiwa made so many models and variations of reels — I had (12) 40 quart containers full of Daiwa parts —and when a part was needed I seldom seemed to have it. 

Plus, with the exception of the Daiwa ultra lite reels from the 70's and the Sealine Conventionals — the reels have too many parts made of plastic, pot metal, and bling — I do not enjoy working on them. 

So I just stuck with what I knew from experience are excellent reels with solid materials and components — and decided to concentrate on those. 

For me — the capability, reliability, and value of the reels is important. 

And it is very demanding trying to be all things to all people.

There are plenty of folks to work on the other reels — I just stay in my lane — and within the small niche that I have developed and enjoy.

It is like a good auto mechanic — they can work on a few brands of vehicles — and become proficient and really experienced on every little nuance that isn't written in the books.

Or a Doctor who specializes in a certain medical procedure — and has done thousands successfully.

While I appreciate a good GP — I don't want the guy who just removed a patients bunions — working on my heart or brain right afterwards.

Just keeping it simple.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

The vehicle parts thing really bothers me too. " sir my computer's not telling me which part it is". Those guy's that knew stuff are gone from any parts store I've been to in years.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on December 01, 2021, 02:48:47 PM
The vehicle parts thing really bothers me too. " sir my computer's not telling me which part it is". Those guy's that knew stuff are gone from any parts store I've been to in years.

Not unlike calculators.  :D "I can't add, subtract, divide or multiply without a calculator". ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

DON3099

Fred you really are the MAN!!
Auto: My best friend works for an independent auto parts store. 90% of the time when I call with a problem my car, the owner tells me what I need w/o going to a computer. He only uses the computer for pricing.

nelz

Got it Fred. But can I still count on you for when the bail spring finally goes on my latest, and now favorite-most-fish-catching-est reel, the amazing Mini Mite???  ;D

foakes

Shouldn't be an issue, Nelz —

Got rid of about 600 pounds of Daiwa parts about 22 months ago — but still have a few, plus 6 or 7 gold Mini-Mites, plus a couple of thousand loose bail springs for skirted spool spinners. 

Would just match up a new bail spring with one of the Mini-Mites.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.