D-A-M Quick, Penn, Cardinal, & Mitchell — Spinning Reel Parts

Started by foakes, November 29, 2021, 08:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Wow Fred
I didn't realize that you had Daiwa Parts.
I just ordered some from Mikes to do the Fishing Hobby's 1000X upgrade on 4 reels.
They replied with a out of stock message on a couple parts and one they did not have.
Apparently they are going through some really awful weather up there.
Do you have the parts required to do the upgrade?

Also, I was wondering how Mitchell made the list and not Shakespeare, considering their wormgear drive reels and Sea Wonder/Sports Wonder models.
I feel silly questioning you about anything. I'm just curious and want to learn what makes a superior reel.

-Steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on December 04, 2021, 10:56:14 PM
Wow Fred

Also, I was wondering how Mitchell made the list and not Shakespeare, considering their wormgear drive reels and Sea Wonder/Sports Wonder models.
I feel silly questioning you about anything. I'm just curious and want to learn what makes a superior reel.

-Steve

I'm pretty sure the answer will be because late '50s through the '60s Shakespeare spinning reel parts are practically non existent. While they're solidly built and parts seldom go bad on them, when something does it usually requires used parts or a donor to cannibalize. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on December 04, 2021, 10:56:14 PM
Wow Fred
I just ordered some from Mikes to do the Fishing Hobby's 1000X upgrade on 4 reels.
They replied with a out of stock message on a couple parts and one they did not have.
Apparently they are going through some really awful weather up there.
Do you have the parts required to do the upgrade?

-Steve

Don't really have the bearings for the Daiwa silver series to convert to same as the gold series, Steve —

Got rid of 600 pounds of organized Daiwa parts over a year ago.  

However, bearings are easy enough to get through nearly any quality bearing supplier.  They just need the OD, ID, and thickness.

You are right on about the Shakespeare vintage reels, Steve — excellent reel!

However, there are no parts available.  I have plenty of parts for DQ, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco spinners.

So I chose those.

What drives the amount of reels coming across the bench, is —

1) Are they popular with anglers?

2) Are parts available?

3) Were there enough made that knowledgeable anglers are still fishing them?

4) Are they a valuable reel worth restoring?

5) Are they what I consider a top quality and capable reel (not necessarily an expensive reel, just top quality).

All five of these boxes need to be checked — in order for it to make any sense, for me.

There are literally hundreds of reels over the years of very high quality — but due to no parts availability — no bueno.

I have been fortunate enough to make a major, decades long effort to purchase as many vintage tackle shops inventory of parts.  

Can't be all things to everyone — just a little niche.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.