Dauphin Island, off the beach

Started by Crow, December 07, 2021, 02:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I've only caught a red that weighed 20 or so.
Big fun on 40lb mono surf fishing.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 08, 2021, 07:52:24 PM
Penn 50th anniversary catalog shows world record red drum caught off NC in 1973. It was 90# and caught with long beach 65. The record black drum at that time(111#) was caught with a 140 squidder

i'm skooled.

JasonGotaProblem

Fish names are funny. To me, "mullet" means a vegetarian saltwater fish that jumps, a lot, and makes great live bait when small (called finger mullet), and decent cutbait when big (foot mullet).

And kingfish definitely means king mackerel around here.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Crow

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 09, 2021, 04:45:43 PM
Fish names are funny. To me, "mullet" means a vegetarian saltwater fish that jumps, a lot, and makes great live bait when small (called finger mullet), and decent cutbait when big (foot mullet).

And kingfish definitely means king mackerel around here.

Yeah, all the "local variations" of the names can be pretty confusing ! The real "silvery" king fish(I *think* it's the "southern king fish") are called "whiting", here, and the ones with the olive colored "stripes" (I *think* those are "gulf king fish")are called "ground mullet"....and red drum are either "crab eaters', or "redfish".....the black drum are either "puppy drum", if they are small enough to still have their "stripes", or'big uglies', if they are big enough to have lost them. So, conversations around the fish cleaning table...when there are "locals, "snowbirds", or folks from somewhere else on the gulf, can really be "interesting" !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Quote from: Crow on December 09, 2021, 11:11:12 PM
The real "silvery" king fish(I *think* it's the "southern king fish") are called "whiting", here, and the ones with the olive colored "stripes" (I *think* those are "gulf king fish")are called "ground mullet"....and red drum are either "crab eaters', or "redfish".....the black drum are either "puppy drum", if they are small enough to still have their "stripes", or'big uglies', if they are big enough to have lost them.

Now I'm confused.  I thought Southern Whiting (Menticirrhus americanus) have the bands and Gulf Whiting (Menticirrhus littoralis) are more silver.  Ever hear them called Roundheads?  That may be a Mid-Atlantic thing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Menticirrhus_americanus.jpg

https://anglerwithin.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Whiting-and-Pompano.jpg

I grew up with Redfish, Trout, Puppy Drum and just Drum.  

In South Carolina they are Spottail Bass, or Channel Bass if you're snobbish, or just Bass.  Spotted Seatrout are just Ttrout.  Balck Drum are just Drumfish.  Mullet are finger mullet. peter mullet. or just big mullet.

Crow

I got the names turned around, I guess........I think "roundhead" moniker is a new one to me, but, at my age, I can do the same crossword puzzle, every day, and it seems "all new" so I guess memory isn't one of my strong suits ! :D
  And the "trout" thing can get confusing, too, and when somebody catches a "stingray" (happens quite often), the "is it a ray, or a skate, or a doormat " discussions get pretty lively , too :D.
   Yesterday, one guy (new in the campground, this year....first year retired...first year fishing in salt water) about cried when we told him the "channel catfish" he had brought back were NOT going to be as "tasty" as he thought ! I think those hard head catfish fool every mid western "newbie', at first !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

DONT be in NC and tell anyone you kept ten puppy drum.....here, they are slot redfish. A doormat is a flounda. A skate is a sea scallop  ;D ;D ;D ;D

oc1

In the Western Gulf states it's a Southern Flounder.  In the eastern Gulf states it could be a Southern Flounder or a Gulf Flounder.  In the Southeast it could be a Southern Flounder or a Summer Flounder. The Summer Flounder have oscellated spots.  If you call it a fluke then you must be a yankee and it could be either a left-eyed SummerFlounder or a right-eyed Winter Flounder.  A doormat is a BIGA$$ flounfer.  

Gfish

Worm parasites are unsightly. Maybe if you gut them quickly, there'll be less migration into the flesh? Then it's a matter throughly cooking them. Over-cooking fish sucks. Maybe heat just enough to denature the parasite proteins.

That Channel Cat/Hardhead thing is pretty 😄.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

The whiting have started biting, again...finally ! We kept 13 "eating size", out of about 20 caught, and I got another black drum(39 inches). I got pretty wet, (up to the knees!) trying to revive and release that darn drum, too! I guess he got his "revenge" ! Pictures won't post, but, if you've seen one, you have seen them all !

El Pescador

Crow sent me a few photos for all to enjoy.

So Enjoy!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

We went to the rigs, today, but it was pretty slow fishing ! No sheephead, a few small snappers (they are out of season, anyway), but we did bring back some white trout, and some spadefish. First spades I've ever caught, so I'm sort of anxious to see "how they eat" :D! For a small fish, they put up a pretty lively fight!
    I was surprised how many ships are anchored out in the channel, awaiting their "turn" at the port ! Only one, or maybe two, are visible from the island, but when you get out there 12 ,or so,miles, we counted 13!