A Surfmaster For El Pescador

Started by mo65, December 09, 2021, 04:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I Like !!! I've got a mint one in my safe... I can't remember if it's a 150 or 200.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

El Pescador

MO-meister!!!!

BEAU....TIFUL REEL Job!!!!  

YES, and I'll say it again, "I'd Rather BE FISH'N...  Than FIX'n!!!!"   FOR SURE.

BUTT over time I've leaned on the likes of Alan, Bryan, of course, Dominick, and who has shouldered most of my REEL PROBLEMS is FRED!!!!

This time, I asked MO to "put Humpy Dumpy Back together again!"   Could not have asked for a better outcome.

Quote from: pjstevko on December 09, 2021, 05:06:22 PM
That looks amazing, great job Mo!.

Did Wayne say what the intended use was? (I always liked these small surf masters and squidders but wouldn't know what type of fishing I'd use it for)

Pj

PJ!  For sure:

1) Ocean Salmon
2) General Rockfish and Ling Cod fishing
3) if it works out, for smaller Halibut next summer in the Gustavus, AK area with our own Gary the BUTT MAN!!!

I have 6 Penn Surfmaster 100's that I use, and have friends that fish with me, but I read that Lee has an SM 150 for deep drops and I thought WHY NOT??

This all started on a busted Morro Bay trip, Jonathan (The Swimmer) and I decided to drive to Morro Bay & enjoy the weekend.   We also had a Makaria reel from Alan, to drop with a boat capt. while there.

We did a general walk-through at Jerry's in Morro Bay, and this reel was for sale for $35!!  Just $35??!!!  I bought it.

AND MO, let's not forget Randy (Vintage Offshore Tackle) for me raiding his stock for this cherry RED TIB Frame and spool.   And like Fred, Randy always offers his stock at below prices for us members here.

Quote from: Ron Jones on December 09, 2021, 06:26:30 PM
My favorite use for them is shallow water bottom fishing. Like when the party boat takes you into the kelp to play with blues or blacks. 2 big fish on shrimp flies with a light rod can be a lot of fun, it is more fun when your reel has the torque necessary to not be phased.

That is a wonderful reel Mo. The only thing that would "gild the lily," at least for me, is a fine thread sleeve and a 505 star. The finer control is very nice.

The Man

Ron, unlike you NorthWest FINESSE Fisherman, YOU, Ted, and Todd, I want to crank the star drag ONLY 2-3 finger pulls and not spend 2 minutes figuring out what drag I want to winch up a big fish off the bottom. ;D   BUTT seriously, it was Sal who asked me to try both on an SM 100, and quickly decided the course thread was my deal!  

MO's workup reel will arrive soon, and just in enough time for me to get to Alans' and have him lace it up with 50 lbs. brad for our upcoming Morro Bay trip, set up by our own PJ!!!!

IT's Friday, my Brother Ken & his wife will be in several hours, we will enjoy a weekend with my 2 sisters and enjoying a Deutscher Christmas together.

When our Mother died, 3 days before her last breath, she called her 4 children into her hospital room and asked us one thing, "JUST STAY TOGETHER".  She didn't ask us to love each other, or be nice but JUST stay together.  So Saturday we will gather in Sacramento, CA, and enjoy the food of our family, put out photos of Mom & Dad, enjoy memories of our growing up together.

What you are doing this weekend!!!!

THANK YOU Again, MO!   For taking on Wayne's REEL Problems!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on December 10, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
THANK YOU Again, MO!

You're welcome Wayne! I think you're really gonna dig this little reel. With the solid frame and upgraded components it should be impervious to twisting and grinding.
  The only way I could see to possibly improve it would be to double dog her...but that is a time consuming labor intensive ordeal on these small Penns. Alan at Pro Challenger or Tom at Cortez Customs ought to check on the possibility of producing a DD bridge for the #3-200 bridge. Then folks could easily double dog those Surfmasters and Squidders!
  I say crank away on 'er Wayne...and if by "snowball chance in hell" you do bust the AR dog...don't worry. My Dad is a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rothmar2

Quote from: mo65 on December 10, 2021, 05:08:04 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on December 10, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
THANK YOU Again, MO!

The only way I could see to possibly improve it would be to double dog her...but that is a time consuming labor intensive ordeal on these small Penns. Alan at Pro Challenger or Tom at Cortez Customs ought to check on the possibility of producing a DD bridge for the #3-200 bridge. Then folks could easily double dog those Surfmasters and Squidders!

Nice work Mo. Have to agree on double dogging these small Penns. Am just finishing up another Squidder project, and put the extra dog on as per Mikes thread with the dog going through the bridge. Got there in the end.....

oldmanjoe

The only way I could see to possibly improve it would be to double dog her...but that is a time consuming labor intensive ordeal on these small Penns.

I thought that`s what we do here  .......           My Dad is a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools! Cool

Just a teasing ya ,  Good job on that reel .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Hardy Boy

That reel looks great, nice job. Maybe if Wayne ever comes fishing up here he will trade me for a mooching reel once he see's the light.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd