Gray Series vs Maroon Sea Wonder Spinning Reels ..

Started by basenjib123, December 13, 2021, 11:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

So which one would you take?  The seemingly more robust Gray Sea Wonder Series or the less complicated design of the Maroon?  What are the pros and cons to you with each model?  Thanks...and Merry Christmas!

Gfish

Yeah, same question. The Grey series are the older models, right?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

basenjib123

Quote from: Gfish on December 14, 2021, 02:17:17 AM
Yes the Gray Series was first.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: basenjib123 on December 14, 2021, 02:33:55 AM

Not by a whole lot, though. The 2070, 80 & 90 were introduced in 1958/59, the 2071, 81 & 91 in 1965. The 2065 was introduced in 1959 & 2064 in 1960 (they're the same reel, just a change in the last number & parts are interchangeable). The 2062 was then introduced in 1963. Many think the 2068, introduced in 1963, was possibly highest quality light/medium size spinning reel ever manufactured in the US.

As far as a light/medium size Shakespeare I would choose the 2068 first & then the 2062 first version. The 2064/65 are still good reels but 2068 & 2062 were improvements & a little higher quality with their worm gear drives. The 2070, 80 & 90 are really high quality reels.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 14, 2021, 04:17:30 AM
Quote from: basenjib123 on December 14, 2021, 02:33:55 AM

Not by a whole lot, though. The 2070, 80 & 90 were introduced in 1958/59, the 2071, 81 & 91 in 1965. The 2065 was introduced in 1959 & 2064 in 1960 (they're the same reel, just a change in the last number & parts are interchangeable). The 2062 was then introduced in 1963. Many think the 2068, introduced in 1963, was possibly highest quality light/medium size spinning reel ever manufactured in the US.

As far as a light/medium size Shakespeare I would choose the 2068 first & then the 2062 first version. The 2064/65 are still good reels but 2068 & 2062 were improvements & a little higher quality with their worm gear drives. The 2070, 80 & 90 are really high quality reels.  

Tommy is absolutely right, IMO —

IF, the reel will be a shelf queen. 

However, for a practical matter — as a reel to actually be fished — the only way to get replacement parts is with an additional donor reel.  I have some of these, and two of them have busted interior parts. 

It is disappointing — since the quality is solid and evident.

Any reel that parts are unavailable for — is worth not much more than 4 bits an ounce.

The old grease inside needs to be cleaned, removed, and relubed with proper modern lubes — before trying to crank the handle and gears.  The oscillation mechanism will break apart with old, stiff grease.

Some of these were grey, some maroon, and the Ted Williams models were a brown color.

Excellent reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Fred's right about parts availability, and that's  a shame. I have been able to find a few internal parts, spools, etc., though. It took me 2 years to find a crank handle for a 2064/65 and I've been looking for a crank handle for a 2052 2nd version for three years now with no luck. Parts are tough on those lines but if one finds a well cared for or NIB example it will fish for an awful long time if maintained correctly and regularly.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

So, the 2070, 80 & 90 are, or are not, worm gear reels.
Thanks Fred & Tommy, I's waitin for y'all to respond.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

basto

I have always wondered about the statement from an extremely noted spin reel reviewer that the worm drive system is the least efficient when
I see that very high quality brands like DAM, ABU,PENN got so much wear from this system.
I know that DAIWA used it , not sure about SHIMANO.  don't think MITCHELL ever used it.

Anyhow, I have not seen any very expensive currently made spinners using it now.
If it worked so well for so long, why is it not used anymore???

Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

I wish I never sold them but I had a huge collection of the Maroon colored reeks. Many of them came with factory manual bails. I sold them on flea bay in the 90's.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basenjib123

The drive system in the Gray Series is more complicated with more parts and a large additional gear.  I suppose one could argue that there is less wear and tear on each part in the drive train of the Grays seeing some pressure has been taken off the main gear, etc;  By the same token, I can see that being a negative when it comes to parts replacements and a bit more maintenance.  In any case I like both series myself.  

basenjib123

Quote from: Gfish on December 14, 2021, 07:35:56 PM
So, the 2070, 80 & 90 are, or are not, worm gear reels.
Thanks Fred & Tommy, I's waitin for y'all to respond.

That series has the worm gear system

happyhooker

I'll go with the Maroons.  Simpler is better with old stuff, especially when parts are so hard to run down.  Both series are tough as a $2 steak, and the chance of busting something on a Maroon that a Gray would've handled is almost non-existent.

That being said, I will take all of either I can get.

Frank

philaroman

Quote from: basto on December 14, 2021, 08:53:18 PM
I have always wondered about the statement from an extremely noted spin reel reviewer that the worm drive system is the least efficient when
I see that very high quality brands like DAM, ABU,PENN got so much wear from this system.
I know that DAIWA used it , not sure about SHIMANO.  don't think MITCHELL ever used it.

Anyhow, I have not seen any very expensive currently made spinners using it now.

Greg

Akios has good rep for aftermarket Abu upgrades, doesn't it?
wonder why no one on AT has tried their worm spinner ???
https://www.carolinacastpro.com/products/akios-airloop-r10

Midway Tommy

Quote from: basto on December 14, 2021, 08:53:18 PM
I know that DAIWA used it , not sure about SHIMANO.  don't think MITCHELL ever used it.

Greg

So I am curious as to who this noted reviewer is? There are pluses and minuses to each of the gearing systems. Some are smoother, some are noisier, some are are stronger, some are quieter, some are less likely to fail, some last longer, etc., etc. There's give and take in each system so individual preference ends up being key in one's decision on which system is best for their uses. I have seen a lot of failures but I have never seen a quality designed and manufactured worm gear & pinion system fail when used as intended, so personally, I prefer the worm gear design for any serious endeavors.

The biggest reason you don't see them used much in today's manufacturing is do to the perception of most new reel purchasers that optimum smoothness means higher quality, which is clearly not the case, and, worm gear drive systems are much more expensive to manufacture. Most reel makers learned this in the mid '80s and switched accordingly to reduce costs and make more profit.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jurelometer

From a mechanical standpoint:

I posted an overview of right angle gear drive styles awhile back.  If I see it again, I will post a link to it. If my recollection is correct, the main mechanical design issue that can effect the choice  of worm drives in spinners  is that since the worm gear has to be located entirely  below the main gear, you need more vertical space to fit everything, which means the axis of the spool shaft has to be farther from the rod, or the body extends up the neck more towards the foot.  Either way, you will end up with a larger body on the reel with the center of mass farther from the rod.

I would guess that on more modern reels with larger gear ratios and larger teeth, the body size and center of mass issues might make a worm drive reel less desirable.

There is also a difference in lost energy, but I don't remember how important that is.  Maybe that is the smoothness that Tommy is referring to.

Most worm drive systems will lock up if you try to turn them backwards.  Not sure if that is a plus or minus, or if worm drive spinners use the type of worms that can turn both ways.

-J