Rodanthe getaway Dec. 9-13

Started by jason_purdy, December 16, 2021, 02:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

I can't say it was the best fishing for me, but I had a great visit nonetheless. The terrible weather that created so much destruction in many parts of the country made surf fishing not the most feasible. The plan was to hit holes and washouts in the surf for speckled trout and puppy drum. Between the waves, current, and water clarity that wasn't really an option. Switching gears I tried to soak some fresh shrimp in hopes of a redfish or anything really. Had a long rod past the bar, one bait in a nice washout, one in the trough, and one right in the breakers. After 3 days of trying falling and rising tides, dawn and dusk, I only had 3 flounder to show for it. My last full day in the Outer Banks I took my mom out on the old Oregon Inlet bridge which is now a nice little fishing pier (Bonner Bridge Pier). We managed a nice variety of critters on fresh shrimp fished around the pilings (small black drum, sheepshead, and Black Sea bass). None were very big, but it's my first time fishing with mom in probably 20 years. That's worth more than any fish...

While the fishing wasn't the best, my family time away from the electronics was all that I hoped for. There were sunrises and sunsets, competitive board games, a few adult beverages, and many beach walks. I stopped in at Hatteras Jacks a few times just to chat (great folks there). I went up to Nags Head to visit TW's Bait and Tackle. That's an impressive operation there too. All in all it was a relaxing beach getaway.

thorhammer

Good trip in any case! Looking at the pier pic, that house is within 400 yards of the one I stayed in last time I was there.

John

Ron Jones

You can never complain about fishing on the beach on a day like that!
Looks like good times.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jason_purdy

That sunrise was our last morning there, and it was the calmest day of the trip. No complaints here though. It was a relaxing few days.

-Jason

Benni3