PENN 9 AR Repair

Started by jgp12000, December 19, 2021, 07:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just acquired another 9 Peerless and this is the 4th reel in a row I have purchased on Fleabay that wasn't functional, without the seller informing me upfront. Anyhow, it was cheap, but the AR doesn't work and is missing a few parts. I attached photos of my meager PENN collection(2-9's & 109), and another photo has a yellow arrow pointing to a broken tab on the cover, could this be the culprit in the AR not working, I haven't located a schematic yet?

PacRat

That broken tab would affect the eccentric/clutch. Was it shifting in and out of freespool okay? The AR dogs should be with the bridge.

jgp12000

No the level wind doesn't move at all, but the pawl/worm work off the reel. The AR also doesn't work? It is also missing the sleeve under the star drag don't know the P/N still looking for schematic.

thorhammer

Is the AR just not engaging? That damage is to the indexing land for the jack to center and slide on, so it could affect whether the whole thing goes into gear and stays there properly. If the AR dog is just not engaging, try to flatten the dog spring some so it will apply a bit a more pressure on the dog, and don't grease up the AR cog or dog too much. Light oil is plenty, if that, and grease can make things not engage all the way. Let us- know basic design as in millions of Penn's, and I have prolly 30 of those in use currently. You'll get it solved. The Peers are some of the most undersung reels period, IMO. There was a time when you could find them at yard sales / flea markets all day under 20 bucks in working order. Even at 35, try to find a "new" reel remotely as good for 35 bucks. Not happening. And you will never, ever, not be able to find a part.

John

thorhammer

Mike typed while I was....if the LW isnt moving you likely need new nylon idler gear; it's designed to be sacrificial and save fingers. Sounds like you are missing 20 bucks worth of parts, maybe plate won't work....I'd at least let the seller know what's up and see if they will make you whole. I may have some of what you need; best thing is go to Mystic parts, check the schematic and see exactly what's missing. We try to get the bits back in place and see if the plate still performs.

jgp12000

I just added a photo the sleeve under the star drag is missing as well, I only got $23 bucks in the reel, not sure if it needs a new cover or worth messing with?

PacRat

The indexing land for the jack can be repaired if you have the skills, tools and materials. You can drill a pocket where the indexing land broke off and epoxy a brass stud where the bakelite broke off. You need to have real good epoxy, JB Weld might work but don't use a JB knock-off because it might not stand up to grease and oil. (Genuine JB Weld might work but read the specs real good and avoid their 'Kwick-Weld' 6 minute type). For this type of work I use an epoxy putty that is usually marketed as 'Type A+B'. This stuff takes 24 hrs to cure but is extremely hard. I use it underwater in my pool. The only bad thing about the A+B putty is that is costs more than the reel but you will find many other uses for it. It has a shelf life but I have used some which is very old and it softens as you kneed the two parts together. First tou rough-mold it into place then wet your fingers and/or tools so you can smooth it out without it sticking to your finger. Once cured. you can drill, tap, or file the A+B. You might even be able to sculpt the indexing land and forego the brass stud.
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-9904K-White-Rezolin-Container/dp/B0030D2N22/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B0030D2N22&psc=1

foakes

The problem with Penn levelwind reels bought from eBay or yard sales — they are generally, due to their design and purpose — used very hard.

There are lateral line guide stresses, lead core line extra stresses, A/R issues as the reel goes into and out of gear more often then regular conventional Penns.  And these are light reels that are often used beyond their intended range.

They are tools that get used, and catch fish effectively.

Seldom, do I get a 9, 109, or 209 — that only needs the nylon idler gear replaced.  It is generally much more then that.  There are (10) parts just in the LW assembly.

And often, the cost of 4-5 LW parts, plus an idler gear, sideplate, spacer, and anything else tweaked — will cost more than a new reel.  A new reel is in the high $50's.

Of course, there is the satisfaction of fixing up an old reel.

But at the end of the day — it would be hard for me to trust a repaired head plate that the Jack needs to ride on squarely.

Here is a new dark brown sideplate with a bridge, eccentric, lever, main gear, gear sleeve, ring, etc. — if it would help.

I can probably scratch up the rest of the parts you might need also.  Got rid of most of my Penn conventional parts — but still have a few large drawers and bins of Penn parts.

Here is a schematic from one of my shop service manuals — check it out — see what you need — and we can get you going.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Sellers like that really should say "hasn't been tested". There are sellers on da Bay that don't seem to know anything about reels. Or, if tested and they know what they're doing, that one shoulda said: "for parts only". Many do state that they've tested it and it works. If they add something like "needs a good cleaning and lubrication", chances are, they are ethical and right.

If there's an option for you to give feedback, you know what to do...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat

Beware the fleaBay vendors who say "recently treated with synthetic oil". They say it proudly as if it's magic.

jgp12000

I sent the seller a message over the weekend, no response yet. He does have free returns ,but I have the reel torn down now. I should have known by the price, too good to be true. This is the 4th EBAY reel in a row non functional, this guy just described as "used" the other 3 were "ready to fish" . I have had pretty good success on EBAY purchases in the past, but I think I am done buying reels without seeing them first unless it's from a member here. I do think with a lot of the sellers it's just lack of knowledge of how reels are supposed to work.

jgp12000

Fred,
The new brown side plate I assume has all the drag washers because this red one does not. I am not concerned with it being 2 toned at this point, I just want the reel to work.(Mystic only has the black covers). I also need the following parts if you have them? I am checking the parts off the schematic to see what else is missing, it doesn't even have a dog or dog spring?

P/N    9-60(spacing sleeve)
     110-60(handle lock screw)
       30-109(stand)

foakes

This should take care of the reel, James —

I will get it in the mail today.

N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

After I got the parts from Fred I found this video that really helped with the reassemble, I had to replace the pawl as well, the LW was getting stuck to the far left. I may take this one striper fishing this year, or use with live bait in our pond.

Thank you,
Fred