FINALLY! My White Whale!

Started by Reeltyme, December 21, 2021, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

After many years of searching, literally the world over, I have FINALLY purchased my White Whale, A Mitchell 1120, 12/0!!! I have been told for many years that this reel probably didn't exist and was possibly only proposed for production by Mitchell. This is the first and only one I have ever seen outside of advertisements by Mitchell. I now have the entire set 1040, 1060, 1090 and finally the 1120. All in the wooden display boxes. I hope everyone enjoys the photos!

mo65

Wow! I thought I'd seen all of Mitchell's stuff...very impressive! I'd like to see photos of the whole group. Congrats on your collection! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reeltyme

Quote from: mo65 on December 21, 2021, 03:13:22 PM
Wow! I thought I'd seen all of Mitchell's stuff...very impressive! I'd like to see photos of the whole group. Congrats on your collection! 8)

Thanks Mo! Here's the entire set as well as the Presidents I have. Sorry about the glare from the glass.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Top quality and tough collection!

Shows a good eye, knowledge, and perseverance.

Thanks for showing us!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Congratulations on completing your set! Beauty of a reel!
Best to ya,
Dom

Midway Tommy

Congratulations, Randy!  8)  Well deserved, for sure!  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

Wow!  Great collection.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

54bullseye

Nice reel Randy only one I have ever seen !!! I don't see a 9/0 president LOL !!! I am sure you will find one before me !!  Congrats on the 1120 !!!   John Taylor

Maxed Out

Wow, very impressive reel and Mitchell display. Congratulations on finding the White Whale. I'd say it was worth the wait !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

C'mon man...I don't recall seeing any of your reels before or maybe one here or there....That's a top shelf battery you have there, bud; how come back  with a whole lot more pics of the whole case worth!!! Well done indeed!!!

Thats some candy righ there. Congrats on your score!

John

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Congratulations; those are pretty cool. I didn't know that the 12/0 was so unusual.
I have always been intrigued, or maybe more perplexed, by the use of a compound gear train in the drag lever, as shown in their patent. I mean, you'd think that maybe there might be an easier way, but okay... cool anyway.

The inventor, btw, or at least someone by the same name, seems to have authored a book on the manufacturing of precision electromechanical devices.

Wompus Cat

I think you should Call It The Holy Grail or Golden Fleece .
Capn. AHAB's White Whale  led to his Demise  in the End .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Reeltyme

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 22, 2021, 06:57:37 PM
I think you should Call It The Holy Grail or Golden Fleece .
Capn. AHAB's White Whale  led to his Demise  in the End .

Did I say White Whale? I meant my Holy Grail! Slip of the tongue.