Robalo!

Started by nelz, December 21, 2021, 10:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I'm confused...So, we leave the snook alone when caught on rod and reel but support the draggers who collect the cod and pollack, (probably hake too) for the filet o'fish sandwich?
How many sea creatures (bycatch) die from each drag for that filet o'fish? I like both snook and the filet o'fish just wondering why the snook gets the pass?

Oh, and please don't post links about the decline of snook because I'll just post the links for the decline of cod, and their bycatch.
Dom

PS- I'm not talking about if a fish is out of season. If they aren't legal leave them alone.

Benni3

Doesn't to much ever make sense with the guys and little girls controlling it,,,,,, :-\

nelz

Dom, you didn't read my post. I'll most certainly take home a legal ocean snook, but:

"Too many houses surround the lake, that means plenty of pesticides and cesspools oozing into the water."

oc1

Quote from: broadway on December 28, 2021, 11:55:16 PM
I like both snook and the filet o'fish just wondering why the snook gets the pass?
Because Nelz has been working hard to catch a few snook and has been having a great time doing it.  His investment in time and money and his rewards makes each one very valuable.  If you paid a guide to put you on a nice snook it might be worth even more.  Something in the range of hundreds to a thousand dollars per fish.  When he puts it back the value can double if another guy catches it.  Too expensive to eat

broadway

Nelz, I read your post and then I read another post saying "some fish should just never be kept in this day and age" prior to you writing the lake water isn't so clean.
I wasn't saying you should've kept him just wondering why you "shouldn't."
Seriously Steve? Value of fish doubling??  This isn't the million dollar Koi.
Nelz, have a blast catching those fighters you seem to have their ticket.
Sorry for interrupting your thread. Now go take another bite of your snook sandwich.
Best
Dom

nelz

Quote from: broadway on December 29, 2021, 11:12:25 AMNelz, I read your post and then I read another post saying "some fish should just never be kept in this day and age"

10-4 good buddy  ;D

On another note, I've thought about filming/posting/monetizing my niche fishing adventures and the special tactics I use, but always conclude, no, the poor fish are under enough pressure. I just won't do it. But hey, that's another thread too, I'm derailing my own, lol.  ::)

Maxed Out

Some around here will release a fish thinking they're helping the survival of the species. In reality, 99% of declines in fish populations are directly connected to commercial over harvesting. Bottom draggers don't descriminate between targeted fish and bycatch, all of which are squished to death under tons of fish in a drag net. Those same nets churn up the bottom like a farmer plowing his field, and crippling the habitat crucial to the survival of those bottom dwelling species.

There once was. a time when the grand Banks was considered a never ending biomass. Donald's Fishwich eventually ran out of grand Banks cod, and now the bearing sea is dragger central to feed the world with fishwich, and will someday succumb to same demise as grand Banks.

Yes, I release fish, and some require a descending device, but nothing stops that same fish from landing on your Donald's Fishwich via a bottom or midstream commercial dragger

Nelz, my apologies for hi-jacking your thread. Glad you had a fun day of fishing
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

oc1

Snook are not captured by groundfish trawls.  In fact, there are no commercial snook landings.  But, they are killed by abnormal winter freezes, pesticides, reduced freshwater flow, overfishing and other things.  I continue to be shocked by the lack of conservation ethic on this forum in the face of declining catches.  You are the enemy.

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on December 29, 2021, 07:51:01 PMBut, they are killed by abnormal winter freezes, pesticides, reduced freshwater flow, overfishing and other things.

Don't forget red tide!

broadway

Geez, Steve, no biggie, but you got lost somewhere... or maybe I did, it's all good.
No hard feelings, just questions about your original comment.
Enemy?
We are a knowledgeable forum who inform one another if they have knowledge to pass on.  You have contributed nicely to that but this time ya lost me.
Hope you and the family have a nice New Year,
Dom

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on December 29, 2021, 03:35:35 AM
Dom, you didn't read my post. I'll most certainly take home a legal ocean snook, but:

"Too many houses surround the lake, that means plenty of pesticides and cesspools oozing into the water."
Yes,,,, >:( I got stuck buy a small fish and I thought I was going to die,,,,, :-[  the brackish water in Florida will make you very sick,,,,,,,, :o

oc1

akfish

Commercial fishing does account for much of the decline in fish populations. But just as important -- and probably more important in the future -- are climate change and environmental degradation. For example, higher ocean temperatures are having a profound and lasting impact on salmon populations world wide. And as for releasing fish: Whether I keep a particular fish or not -- any species -- will not have a measurable impact on the population. But if we **all** keep those fish, it might. Hence: regulations and limits which, we can only hope, are well considered.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

oc1

Say what you want about the deadbeat political fishery managers, but it's all we got to prevent the tragedy of the commons.