Mercruiser electric pumps

Started by Donnyboat, December 31, 2021, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Okay Billy I will try to get some pictures today, Dom I am not sure how they formulate the fuel, but I would think there using ethanol, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 01, 2022, 10:57:10 PM
Okay Billy I will try to get some pictures today, Dom I am not sure how they formulate the fuel, but I would think there using ethanol, cheers Don.

Ethanol SUCKS  and condenses /collects moisture BIG TIME! IF you HAVE to use that CRAP you need to keep the tank FULL and use a Fuel additive that will get rid of water .
Best to use NON ETHANOL Fuel ,it is worth the extra cost beleive me if you can get it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

:-[    I reread the thread and had that rutt row thought ..    That filter housing shares a chamber for the high pressure pump also , and has a water jacket  to cool fuel .   That usual is a set up with 8 fuel injectors .
    You say carbie and GM did have a throttle body looking carburetor with 2 fuel injectors i believe  .
   I can post up a few more utubes if you need them .      I will wait to see your pictures first to narrow down the rite system .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Thanks Joe, I contacted Willy today telling him that it may take a few days before I can send pictures, there is a bridge of fibre glass over that area restricting light, & I dont want to use a trouble light till I have the fuel tank seeled of, incase of sparks ignighting any fuel, thanks fore following this post for me Joe & Billy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

PeteRocck

If you have the cool fuel assembly shown in the utube video posted by Joe then you have a multi port fuel injection. Depending on year and serial number there has been updated changes to that generation cool fuel. For one. The water lines heading into the back of the cool fuel unit. If they have a bracket that spans to both hoses with a nut in the middle to fasten it to the unit. BE VERY AWARE. Those ends break off Very Easily. There is a bush fix for it. Although it could possibly not work or damage the unit itself. Secondly the cap right next to the handle that houses the filters is where both low and high pumps are. Again depending on year serial # the paint on the underside of that cap as well as filter area becomes de bonded and gets pushed thru entire fuel system. Clogging fuel rail, lines, injector screens and fuel pressure regulator. The updated caps that don't have the issue are flat black where the ones that peel are gloss. Obviously water is no good. But if you're going to be pulling the pumps out might as well address other issues if you have them. If you have older style water lines. Do not touch them don't even move the hose unless you're prepared to repair/replace. Check to see if parts are available.
Best of luck,
Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Wompus Cat

Pete ,sounds like you been around the block on these .
I was wanting pix of his actual system to help trouble shoot his situation but sounds like you can help more than what I know on these .
Thanks for jumping in .

Donnyboat

Hi Pete, thanks for coming into this post, I am sure its the same, model as Joe had on u-tube, but I will get some pictures soon,.
      I took the tank back out today, managed to get about 4 ltr in throu the sender caverty, then tried to siphil it out but, was not getting it to siphil, so we turnt the tank over & tipped the fuel into a clear open plastic container, there was quite a bit of crap came out, so I has happy that we done that.
      I have to get some gasket goo for the sender gasket, then place the hoses back on the some new filters, then I will get some picture, then you should be able to direct me on the correct protocols, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

What year is the boat engine and do you have a repair manual ?
  This may help , this is the start of the fuel section   https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1201866/Mercruiser-305-Cid-5-0l.html?page=396#manual
   There is 4 section on the fuel systems used over the years .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PeteRocck

Sounds like you're on the right track. If your sender gasket is not rubber don't waste your time with goop and old gasket. It's just not worth it. Sender gasket and screws are #2 culprit for water in the gas tank. Attached photo is gasket kit with new screws and sealing washers can be had for $11.
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Donnyboat

Joe thanks for all that info, our motor was fitted 2010, 5.0 MPI B 1.7R Model number 4-M420G47U U
serial Number 1A619895
     Pete thanks for the info on the rubber gasket, yes I had a rubber gasket in it, that still not in bad condition, but I will try to get a new one, last time I used Permatex permashield fuel resistant gasket dressing & sealant, non hardening  non setting.
      I was told to use anouther product in a tin, it cost me AU$50, I brought it about 150 miles away from our place, when I got home & tried to work with it, it was set hard in the tin, I tried to mix some metho with it, but it was to far gone for that, so I had to through it. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

oldmanjoe

???   How are you making out with the engine , was it just filters or you still working on it  ?

Donnyboat

Thanks Joe, still working on it, having all sorts of trouble, geting mercruiiser parts, even filters & gaskets, the parts division was open on Tuesday, they were supposed to ring me back about the availablity of part, they did not phone me, so I rang them first think on Wednesday morning, the lady tells me they are closed till next Monday, so I have ordered some filters on line, be about a week before I get them.
     On the bright side, I went net fishing with my mate, using his boat, we had a net each, I caught my quota with our net, he only caught 5 fish, it was a very nice evening on the water, got back home about 12:30 am, had a sleep in this morning, not the right thing to do when there forecasting 37 C today, best to get early starts in the summer, cheers Don. 
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Keep in mind some of these parts can be found at the auto parts store !!

Donnyboat

Thanks Joe & everyone, I almost took the electric pump out today, finnished up removing the altinator & the water pump, so I could get at the bolt/ crews, then it  started to get hot in the shed, so I finnished a couple of jobs out side, such as cleaning the fish net, & stitching a couple of hole, we caught our quota of taylor hearing & mullet, all good, managed to get some gasket goo, for the sender, still waiting on filters, so know rush, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat