Mercruiser electric pumps

Started by Donnyboat, December 31, 2021, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

So you are going to remove the   vapor separator tank .   This one has a good break down of the system .    This is going to be a exciser of all your patience.

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Joe thanks for the fuel system video, very handy, when we were out @ sea, my mate pulled the two  electric pump cylinders out, for the want of a better word to describe them, although I only glance @ them from a distance, they looked to be reasonable cleen, compared with the two in the video, the video did not mention the little flat filter below the other crappy filter there, I imadgen it will hook out quite easy, I am having, trouble extracting the fuel line from the back side of the pump, I have removed the locking bolt, but with my bad left shoulder, I am not getting enough purchase to force it out, I think there is a o ring that it locks into, Joe I dried to down load the works manual, without any luck, I chose the 5 lt sea cor one thats the only 5 lt manual ilestated there, after I failed to down loud it, I see that they want US$ 6:+ / month then on after, the fuel pump I have has an area to place a rubber gasket into, its not flat like the one on the video, that round filter that was in the video, mercruiser charge us AU$50:00 for them. cheers Don. 
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

OK the manual  , just try hitting the blue arrows to bring you to the next page , you don`t have to down load the manual
  I would try to wash the bottom strainer first , the canister filter you should be able to get at the auto parts store .
   Or try ebay or other sources ., price shop
  https://www.ebay.com/itm/224225718249?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D235969%26meid%3D887f6fbc39814f

Are the pumps working ?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1201866/Mercruiser-305-Cid-5-0l.html?page=440#manual
   I reposted the manual starting with the fuel injection pages 440 and on .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Donnyboat

Thanks for every thing Joe, I have the pump out now, & it is in good condition by the looks of it, after compairing it with the pics on your u tube you posted, I will have to get back to you tomorrow, I am under the pump tonight, I have to pack the car with rods & reel, I am going to a market  in the morning.
      It is now 9 Pm, buy the time I pack the car, & have a shave, it will be close  to 10 Pm, have to be up @ 3 Am. thanks again Joe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

I gave the moduals a trial out of the pump today, they are working well, still waiting for parts before I place it back together, I washed the bottom filter, flat strainer, possibly good, but I have ordered another one, now to study the works manual, then see if I can move up to the the intake & injectors, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Mandurah out boards, who I generally get parts through sent me a plan of the electric pump, with parts numbers, it is listed that the two rubber rings on the outlet side of the pump, are not sold seperatly, part numbers 7 & 8, also the rubber gasket that fits below the first module, part number 12 not sold seperatly, so they are trying to tell me I have to buy a new pump, just because of those three parts, thats the support you can xspect from Mercruiser, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

:o   Aren't they just o rings that you can get at a auto parts store ?

Donnyboat

Yes Joe one O ring inside the the outlet of the pump, the other is a flatter kind of shape that fits over the outlet pipe, I think I can find them okay, it is part number 12 that will be the hardest, to find it fits under the first pump module, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Just to make sure , you have a transfer or some call it a lift pump between the water seperator and the Mercruiser fuel module .                                           
      I would reuse the old #12  .     The pump is in fuel also in that chamber so there is no problem .     The system is at 5-8 pounds pressure feeding the high pressure pump witch will go to 35-40 pounds rail pressure .

Donnyboat

Special thank Joe for all your info Joe, I think your true AHANA man after you sending me a personal email explaining it all.
      just for other members, a friend over here suggested transfering 2 stroke oil into the piston area, two help relube that area, then place the plugs back in, & it should burn quite easy.
      another chap over here suggested, I use a hose out of a outboard fuel tank, with the rubber primer on it to transfer the oil into the piston area, were learning all the time, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 14, 2022, 02:37:10 AM
Special thank Joe for all your info Joe, I think your true AHANA man after you sending me a personal email explaining it all.
      just for other members, a friend over here suggested transfering 2 stroke oil into the piston area, two help relube that area, then place the plugs back in, & it should burn quite easy.
      another chap over here suggested, I use a hose out of a outboard fuel tank, with the rubber primer on it to transfer the oil into the piston area, were learning all the time, cheers Don.
If you have the primer bulb , i would put it in line between the tank and water separator .     That way when you change separator filter you can easily prime it   and the rest of the system .

Donnyboat

Another thought, going through my crazy head, as mercruiser failed to get back to me on Fri or Sat about the price of a new electric fuel pump or the availability, I am thinking maybe using an inline fuel pump, approximatly 60 PSI, & doing away with the fuel cooling set up just joining the water pipes together, any adverse suggestions with this idea, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

I assume your pump is not working ?    Is it locked up ?      You might free it up by running it backwards   with test leads to a battery .
    The pump is just a  chevy - general motors pump .        auto parts store should have a match .

the fuel cooling system is there because there is no return line back to the fuel tank like you would see in a automobile ! 

You can blow air in to the exhaust side of the pump to blow out any trash that the pump may have picked up .     It is a gerotor type pump .

PeteRocck

I don't know what parts 7,8 &12 are off top of my head. I'll look them up on Mercury EPC tomorrow when I get to work. I'll let ya know if they're available separately or not. I may have some used ones I can mail to you (from the states)  if yours are bad. I'll look tomorrow.
Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD