A rant about graphite lubricant

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 06, 2022, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So far every single used reel I've bought on the 'bay has unpleasantly surprised me, when I open it up and see someone tried to use dry graphite lubricant in their reels. Every single one so far (granted that's only 4 but 100% failure rate) has been that way. Not cool. At least the screws weren't stripped on this one. Also the bearings were rusty AF. Graphite doesn't keep water out...

So please, I know nobody reading this would ever do that, but tell your fishing friends not on this site to lube with a proper lube. I'd be less upset to find they'd squirted in motor oil.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Are you sure it's been dry graphite. A lot of guys used graphite grease on reels. It was considered a decent lubricant before advances in greases. It's  a pain in the arse to evacuate and clean, though. I hate that stuff, and so does Fred, if I remember right.    >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MarkT

You buying them all from the same person?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 06, 2022, 12:49:03 PM
.....someone tried to use dry graphite lubricant in their reels. Every single one so far (granted that's only 4 but 100% failure rate) has been that way.....

yup.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 06, 2022, 05:45:58 PM
Are you sure it's been dry graphite. A lot of guys used graphite grease on reels. It was considered a decent lubricant before advances in greases. It's  a pain in the arse to evacuate and clean, though. I hate that stuff, and so does Fred, if I remember right.   >:(8
Quite possible, I didn't realize that was a thing. but in all but one of the cases it seemed to my untrained eye like they just dumped some dry graphite in with the factory grease. On the other case it was clear they'd cleaned out the factory grease and replaced with dry graphite.
Quote from: MarkT on January 06, 2022, 05:52:02 PM
You buying them all from the same person?
Not unless he has 4 different accounts shipping from 4 different states.

handi2

I use graphite powder on the TLD reels in the tail plate where the spool shaft gets sticky.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Dry graphite it great for door locks and mechanisms — padlocks — and other similar applications.

But lousy for reels — because it will not stay in place or do even a mediocre job of protecting the  moving parts inside the reel casings.

I have used dry graphite very occasionally on certain parts of a reel that tend to stick over time — but generally grease will do the job and last longer.

Grey or black graphite grease is near the top for being the worst.  Along with that sort of a silver grease, and some sort of light green grease.  Some guys use wheel bearing grease — and that is not as bad — just really messy on the benches.

It takes 4 times as long to clean and evacuate the grease from a reel — plus ruins every container, brush, and glove that it comes into contact with when cleaning.  And still is seldom eliminated completely — even when using the Ultrasonic Cleaner and Lacquer Thinner.

After the last one I did — I made a promise to myself to just give the client another of my reels — then toss the graphite one in a parts bin for someone else to deal with after I'm gone.

For me, the best grease lubricant is either Yamaha Marine, Penn Blue, Cal's, or Super-Lube.

For oil — a good synthetic oil is key.  There are a few really good ones out there — and I have a personal favorite that has worked well for over 20 years, for me.

Personally, whatever works well for the individual — is fine.

We all have preferences — but that graphite crud is not worth using, cleaning, or buying, IMO.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: handi2 on January 06, 2022, 06:48:36 PM
I use graphite powder on the TLD reels in the tail plate where the spool shaft gets sticky.

Keith
That's a specific use by a skilled operator. And very reasonable sounding. Betting the rest of the reel uses something more appropriate for lube though.

I left all the parts to soak overnight in some charcoal lighter fluid. Ive had good results with that, since I lack an US cleaner. When I get home I'll switch the soak to denatured alcohol. That should do it. (All soaking parts are unpainted metal. That's probably important to mention)

oc1

A locksmith once told me the worst thing about his job is cleaning the grease or oil out of a lock when the person should have used graphite.  Grease or oil keeps the tumblers from falling into place.

Squidder Bidder

Ive received one or two from fleabay in which all the lubrication had dried up and fell out as a powder when I opened the sideplates - but perhaps this was graphite lubrication. There wasn't the typical lacquering of dried grease or oil, so it's possible that I just didn't recognize it as graphite powder at the time.

Another thing I will avoid moving forward when possible is buying used reels from sellers in Florida. Even when the exterior looked good, the interior parts had corrosion. I'd chalk that up to there being no off season for fishing down there, and the possibility that the rods and reels are left exposed to the salt and elements year round. In contrast, reels from sellers in the midwest/Great Lakes region seem to be in better condition, likely because they've never been in a saltwater environment.

Just my $0.02.

Maxed Out

Has anyone here tried using Ufoil ?? I have a couple quarts and it says it works great on bearings.

www.ufoil.com
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Not try'n to change the innerestin subject matter, but I've found less of the unpleasant surprises from eBay items, if I'm willing to pay a little more than the median price for a given product.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: Gfish on January 07, 2022, 02:52:17 AM
Not try'n to change the innerestin subject matter, but I've found less of the unpleasant surprises from eBay items if I'm willing to pay a little more than the median price for a given product.

Hey G, I have a line on a nice used bridge in Michigan for sale. It's never seen saltwater.   :D :D     Rudy

jurelometer

Graphite is a strong electrical conductor at the very end of the noble side of the galvanic corrosion tables, meaning unless your metal parts are gold plated, the stuff is incompatible from a galvanic corrosion standpoint.   Dunno if this actually turns out to be  a real-life problem, but I would be hesitant to sprinkle raw graphite powder into a saltwater fishing reel.

When suspended in a lubricant, I would assume that this is no longer an issue.

YMMV,

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on January 07, 2022, 02:52:17 AM
Not try'n to change the innerestin subject matter, but I've found less of the unpleasant surprises from eBay items if I'm willing to pay a little more than the median price for a given product.

Solid logic. One thing I've learned is not to buy reels from a pawn shop's eBay store. For similar reason. However what things are listed for and their condition are often unrelated.