Acrylic Handle Grips

Started by Cortez_Conversions, January 11, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Very happy to be bringing another new project to light!

You all may or may not know that Alan Tani has asked me to take on production of his Delrin handle grips. I've been making them now for two or three years and so far everyone seems really happy with them. I asked Alan if I could make and market these pretty acrylic handles and he "Go for it"!! These handles are based on Alan's universal handle, so all the hardware is included to mount to your favorite handle arm.

For now, I'm only going to be making the 3/0 and 5/0 sizes.

I've got to tell you, these are a pain in the behind to make! They are messy, lots of stinky fumes, and extremely time consuming to polish by hand. I have to wear a respirator to keep away from the fumes and spend quite a bit of time cleaning my machines downafter the machining/polishing processes.

So giving you all a glimpse of what it takes to make thes handles, they will always be a custom almost made to order kind of deal. I'll be batching them in runs of a dozen or so at a time, focusing on colors that you all gravitate to. Due to the manufacturing process for the acrylic blanks, the swirls, ribbons, fade and sparkle is different on each piece.
I'll have these up individually on the website soon, so keep an eye out!

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelfish

those are an artwork.

good to see someone is going to making those again.

is that the only Style you are going to make?
any estimated price yet?

The Baja Guy

foakes

Those are really beautiful, Tom!

And very capable as well as functional.

I need one of these for my silver 20/0 Cortez/Tib with your great sideplates — if that might be possible?

My Dad always said — it never hurts to ask.  Not much in life is ever obtained without asking...whether it is a reel, a tough part, a biscuit, or most anything!!

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rogan

Tom,   

Those handles are amazing. My color preference is for the white/silver/black swirl since I have mostly silver and black reels (pro gear). The one in your photo is perfect! (first dibs?) 

Rich

RowdyW

Tom, I'll take the upper far right in purple in the 1st & 3rd photos if it's a 5/0.     Rudy

thorhammer

Imma need blue knobs and green knobs to match your pretty reels. Amazing work- but as expected from anything out of your shop!

John

CooldadE

Wow! Just what I've been waiting for...I'm in for a couple. Silver and or Blue for me...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

pjstevko

Very beautiful! I love my acrylic that I got from Striper Lou many moons ago. They really make these custom reels pop!

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Rothmar2

Having made a few of these myself, I second Tom's words about what goes into making these.
What-ever the asking price is, they are worth every cent!

Beautiful work Tom, they will be a hit I'm sure.

mo65

Great news Tom...I love these style knobs!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ReelFishingProblems

Tom,

Thank you for picking up the charge to make these beautiful knobs. With everything else you are creating in your mad scientist laboratory, these really showcase that the reels made here are functional art pieces.

Nick

handi2

Another great product from Tom. I'm sure happy that you are making them!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maxed Out

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 15, 2022, 02:14:36 PM
Tom,

Thank you for picking up the charge to make these beautiful knobs. With everything else you are creating in your mad scientist laboratory, these really showcase that the reels made here are functional art pieces.

Nick

Very well said Nick. I whole heartedly agree !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!