Acrylic Handle Grips

Started by Cortez_Conversions, January 11, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: fishloco8 on January 27, 2022, 08:04:43 PM
Is there any chance that smaller custom barrel size knobs will be made? Like the acrylic/plastic ones found on older penn 24-66/55/56 handles? I do a lot of flylining and iron chucking with my squidders and jigmasters and would be interested in the smaller knobs similar to the original ones. I just find the original barrel knobs so comfortable and I'm not a big fan of the newer round type when i comes to smaller knob options.

-Oops got to excited and posted before reading the entire original post (only 3/0 and 5/0 knobs being made). Well, if Tom or someone does decide make smaller "T" or barrel knobs, I'd be all over it!

Maybe we can work something out if there's enough interest.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

PrinceAlbertLure

Quote from: Ron Jones on January 16, 2022, 10:04:02 PM
Here's to finding a polish solution, we need more of these!

The Man

Always wet sand acrylics, resins, plastics etc.
I recommend The Novus brand of polish
https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=asc_df_B002UCYRZU?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539278509464&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138858047983&psc=1

Micromesh make amazing abrasives.
I like the small square pads
They last a long time, are very consistent, and the foam lining prevents gouges.
I polish CA finish (superglue) on wood parts and they come out like glass.
https://www.amazon.com/Sanding-Stopper-Polishing-Perfect-Materials/dp/B000H6EC4C/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=sanding+resin&qid=1643324512&sr=8-11

oc1

Quote from: PrinceAlbertLure on January 27, 2022, 09:34:17 PM
I would love to stabilize,
You mean with Cactus Juice of something?

I bet you can find the makings of inserts and attachment hardware on-line or at your local hardware store if they have a K&S display.  The tricky part with knobs is the direction of rotation will tend/want to loosen a screw.  So, you need either left-hand threads or some way to peen or lock the screw in place.  Sal once said that he just used red Locktite.

oc1

Genius.  Tarpon scales will naturally roll up as they dry unless you put them in a press of some sort.  They would be about the right diameter and length for a handle knob.

It's all sort of like making deisgner fountain pens and there's tons of information about that.

fishloco8

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 27, 2022, 09:47:02 PM
Is there any chance that smaller custom barrel size knobs will be made? Like the acrylic/plastic ones found on older penn 24-66/55/56 handles? I do a lot of flylining and iron chucking with my squidders and jigmasters and would be interested in the smaller knobs similar to the original ones. I just find the original barrel knobs so comfortable and I'm not a big fan of the newer round type when i comes to smaller knob options.

-Oops got to excited and posted before reading the entire original post (only 3/0 and 5/0 knobs being made). Well, if Tom or someone does decide make smaller "T" or barrel knobs, I'd be all over it!

Maybe we can work something out if there's enough interest.

Sounds good, a smaller custom penn reel wouldn't be complete without one. If anyone else is interested in a custom original barrel sized knob, let Tom know also!!!

Glos

Egg shaped knobs. My choice.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Swami805

Small knobs would be nice but wouldn't have much pattern to them. Maybe the material comes with tighter swirling or something
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

A smaller option would be nice for the smaller Penns. I've never handled one but always wanted one of Alan's 2/0 handles. Reg or spinner model...
They are a bit larger than the Penn power handle size football though...
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

oldmanjoe

There is more variety in the smaller blanks  .625-.650 diameters pen blanks  and there is the 1 1/2 x 1 1/2  blanks .
  It`s worst than trying to pick out a Granite counter top !!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

CooldadE

Seems like .625-.650 would make a spindly grip... the standard vintage Jiggy grip is approx. .80 so any new custom acrylic grip even a smaller than 3/0 would prob need a 1.5 x 1.5 blank... there are a few blank suppliers out there. Some have color mix's that others don't have.

Cool

oc1

Why buy blanks when you can cast your own?

CooldadE

I'm not lazy, but pick I my battles...casting acrylic isn't a battle I would want to wage.

Cool

Swami805

Mine came in the mail today, they look way better in person.  The hardware is super stout too, first rate. I'd post a picture but ain't working on my sperry- univac
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cortez_Conversions

Hello All,
I just added a bunch of 3/0 style grips to the website!

https://www.cortezconversions.com/custom-handle-arms-grips
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

alantani

Decisions, decisions.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!