WD-40

Started by foakes, January 13, 2022, 01:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This is a great explanation about using WD-40 on firearms — and as many on here have stated before — it applies equally to fishing reels.

I only use WD-40 as an after service wipe down to remove any stray grease globs, oil, and fingerprints. 

It is quick and excellent for that — but for nothing else on a reel.

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/smyth-busters-is-wd-40-a-good-lubricant-for-guns-/detail.htm?lid=18366&trk_msg=A4VO5AOJHG44BD02O058D8L3RK&trk_contact=RLQLUS2DSV9J5D3P3K7SKLN5M0&trk_sid=ABCEMRAV10C2J6H336D0EMO258&trk_link=O4NJL28U23IKR7Q7CHMQ367VJ0&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Find+Out+Here&utm_campaign=2022_01_12_SmythBusters&utm_content=Content
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

I use it on my pipe jigs. It keeps them from turning green after saltwater use
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

It's Great on Blueberries as well . Makes em Shiny !  8)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

It's a decent aerosol cleaner.  I can be quickly sprayed on something that looks like it might start to rust.  It's handy when you just want to displace the moisture on a tool that will be used again in a day or so.  Not for long term storage.

Midway Tommy

Personally, I use it as little as possible. I've never cared much for it. IMO there are a lot of better options out there.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Ive had to explain to my wife that no, it's not really a lubricant, though it does have some lube properties. I guess some figure if it makes the pantry door stop squeaking... But that's a low threshold for success. It doesn't mean that's the ideal thing for the pivots on her elliptical.

It's functional as a cheap albeit slow degreaser. I like charcoal lighter fluid better personally (as a degreaser not a lube I'm on team superlube and TSI321)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

akfish

I've gotten reels in the shop where the owner used the red tube on a WD-40 can to spray into the oil holes on older Penn reels. It does a good job dissolving internal grease and ruining drag washers. Not everyone believes me when I say this is a no no...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

I use WD-40 a lot...it's a very effective cleaner/degreaser. I love how so many folks use it as a lubricant...keeps the reel techs in business! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Last time I used PB Blaster on some elec. plugs, I used WD' to blow away/soak the connectors after, then spray 'em out with air pressure, and then cap 'em. Sort of an experiment. PB' seems to be strong stuff. The connectors have some kinda gold plating but still get that white/green patina over time.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Breadfan

Need to remove the wax on your surfboard? Yep, WD-40 will melt it away. I'm not quite sure what that stuff was invented for but it has all sorts of odd uses.

Ron Jones

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 13, 2022, 01:21:22 PM
But that's a low threshold for success.

For some reason, I've ran into this a lot over the last week.

This is the never ending Technician vs Engineer argument that keeps the world turning and bars in business. The OVERWHELMING majority of people who buy WD-40 have no idea what a low threshold of success is, that the concept exists, and probably most important would just as soon not know it exists because it would complicate their life beyond anything they'd care to consider. They spray it when it squeaks, and when it squeaks again they'll spray it again. They get a HUGE amount of satisfaction in the "fact" that they fixed something, and that is worth way more to them than learning of higher performing alternatives.

To them, they are more capable than someone who has to call someone to fix the squeaky door, and in a way they are right.

There is just way more to consider in life than whether or not WD-40 is the best solution.

I am very happy to hear that you have a better approach to the pivots on her elliptical.

The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

handi2

Quote from: akfish on January 13, 2022, 02:08:14 PM
I've gotten reels in the shop where the owner used the red tube on a WD-40 can to spray into the oil holes on older Penn reels. It does a good job dissolving internal grease and ruining drag washers. Not everyone believes me when I say this is a no no...

Me too..! They looked great on the outside but no grease inside.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL