Garbage can find 5500 ss

Started by oldmanjoe, January 14, 2022, 01:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

My wife took a boat ride with me , and when i was loading the boat on the trailer , She went to dispose her snack wrappers in the garbage can .
     Look what i found !!!     
  It was hard turning and a quick look saw the bottom bearing cap missing .

I did a search for parts .    Looks like two parts missing a cap and a bushing .        Cap is discontinue ?
   I don`t see threads or a grove for a o ring or snap ring .     What holds it in place friction fit  ?

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Well the Schematic shows these  two parts and one says Cap Screw

So Maybe the threads stripped out OR the bushing goes in from inside then the Cap screws into it ?
225 225-5500 CROSSWIND SHAFT BUSHING
226 226-5500 BUSHING CAP SCREW

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn5500SS.aspx

You might get the 2 parts and Glue the cap in place ifen thay ain't no Threads.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/5500ss.pdf
  It looks like the cap holds the bushing in place .

I thinking that i will make a one piece cap and bushing .    Just seems odd that it is friction fitted  , probably why it is missing !!
 I have not seen pictures of one with the cap off yet .....  The only pictures i have seen , the cap has no slot for a screwdriver like you see on the 550   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

TonyM

I just looked at my 5500 SS.  The cap has male threads and threads into the body.  You should be able to see the internal threads.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: TonyM on January 14, 2022, 03:43:14 AM
I just looked at my 5500 SS.  The cap has male threads and threads into the body.  You should be able to see the internal threads.
Does your cap have a slot to use a screwdriver to remove it?

oldmanjoe

I took some measurements .       Everything is smooth bore .         I just spun one and this is it , it fits like a glove  .
   First shoulder is .340 long by .250 dia.  second shoulder is .300 long by .380 dia .   bore hole is .185 by .770 deep.

thorhammer

1) Joe, that's a great find!

2) Joe wakes up, goes "I think I'll just spin one up" and bang...custom fit. That's some nice cability right there. Sweet.

mo65

I love a good garbage can find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 14, 2022, 01:56:45 AM
     My wife took a boat ride with me , and when i was loading the boat on the trailer , She went to dispose her snack wrappers in the garbage can .
     Look what i found !!!     
  It was hard turning and a quick look saw the bottom bearing cap missing .

I did a search for parts .    Looks like two parts missing a cap and a bushing .        Cap is discontinue ?
   I don`t see threads or a grove for a o ring or snap ring .     What holds it in place friction fit  ?

OR ya could just do that  ;D

Gfish

Nice! That's like a diving catch in the 9th to save a run in a big play-off game.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Thank you for kind remarks  ..     I just pulled off the braided line to check it out .    About 80 yards of gray line 15 pound test and 130 yards of green 15 pound test in great shape ,so i flip the line and add 2 shims under the spool for a better line lay .    Probably needs another shim under the spool  ,

JasonGotaProblem

Joe I didn't realize you had these powers. Line lay is a pain on these with braid. Ever consider making your own spool? One a bit shorter?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Maxed Out

Nice find Joe. I never find nuttin good when I am dumpster diving, just old panty hose or stinky socks
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

TonyM

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 14, 2022, 06:12:27 AM
Quote from: TonyM on January 14, 2022, 03:43:14 AM
I just looked at my 5500 SS.  The cap has male threads and threads into the body.  You should be able to see the internal threads.
Does your cap have a slot to use a screwdriver to remove it?

Joe

I apologize, when I looked at your pic, I thought it was the side plate.  Did not realize it was the knob in the back of the reel.  I checked again and the two reels I have, that piece is tight.  Does not turn.  Appears to be a pressed fit or using some type of adhesive.   I have not tried to remove it, since it only seems to function as centering point for the end of the shaft.

But it does have a part that is called a bushing shaft screw which would make one think it has to be threaded in.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 15, 2022, 02:24:25 AM
Joe I didn't realize you had these powers. Line lay is a pain on these with braid. Ever consider making your own spool? One a bit shorter?

Joe has an Excellent Lathe to make his own Spools

https://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32384.0;attach=94422;image