Hello from Glendale CA!

Started by seavandal, January 17, 2022, 07:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seavandal

Just logged in to post for the first time to this most excellent group! I have had hours of fantastic reading time and picture viewing for the past several weeks when I found this site.
It all started when I was on Craigslist and found a pair of Nep-tuna cradle reel seats with Penn 49's attached. The Craigslist title was something like "Coleman lantern and other stuff". Well, I'm into Coleman lanterns and stoves so I clicked on it. There was the Coleman lantern and "stuff". The stuff was two very old brass nautical Perko lanterns, about a half a dozen old rod butts,3 super old leather rod belts, and two Nep-tuna cradles with the reels. I've been looking to buy any Nep-tuna cradle rod and reel combos for decades, but never have found any garage saling or online that I could afford. I drove over to the lady's house and bought the lot for a song that night. No rods were present, but the crate of stuff was stunning and had a very "old smell" to it. The lady said there might be a rod or two back at the farm in Paso Robles where this stuff came from, so I might get lucky again.
I had to find out as much info as I could about Nep-tunas, so I got online and started to check out images of these cradles. I finally bumped into this group and checked out the "cradle reel" section. Nice load of info and pictures! For the last couple of weeks, I've been obsessing over these cradle reels.
Needless to say, I have spent many hours checking out this site as well as restoring one of these Nep-tuna cradle and reels. I'll post again and let you guys know what I have been through to get one of the cradle reels and rod back into working order. I have an 18' aluminum center console that I take out often on the ocean. I fully intend to use my new trolling rod to catch something nice like a Mako or whatever swims my way. Thanks for all of the group info and pictures! This is such an excellent site for all the tips and expertise I needed to breathe new life into an old salt's fishing tackle. Cheers! Chris from Glendale

nelz

Welcome aboard, and nice score on that lot!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Chris!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Welcome, and congrats on the "other stuff" pot 'o gold !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Wompus Cat

Welcome Chris  , from
Central TEXAS.
Get those up and going and post some pix soon !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

Welcome Chris from the Inland Empire!  Nice score, hopefully you can breath some life into that vintage equipment! - john

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Squidder Bidder

Rocket Dog

Hi Seavandal,

Welcome from the far east side of the SGV!

happyhooker

Greetings, Chris, from Minnesota.

Frank

seavandal

Thanks you guys for the welcome! I would like to post a few stories regarding my Nep-tuna cradle score and restoration as well as a rod restoration/modification that I did for the cradle. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to upload pictures. This site says the upload file is full. If I can post pictures, I will post a few things. Let me know how to upload pics from my computer. Additional options and browse computer for pics doesn't work.
Gracias! Chris

MarkT

Welcome! I'm down in Mission Viejo.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!