Bearing size? Hx 5/2

Started by gstours, January 23, 2022, 12:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Does anyone know the size of the pinion bearing of the Avet Hx series of reels?   
  I'd like to get a replacement before a tear down for a friend.     Also has anyone found an angular contact bearing to replace it with?   I'd like to hear 👂 some good news 📰,   Thanks.🎣

Hardy Boy

HX- 6x17x6

HX Raptor - 6x19x6

Never played with contact bearings

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for your promptness.    :D    Troll Slow, ;)

Keta

Avet pinion bearings are not a standard bearing  they are deep grove bearings to sort of deal with side load.  A standard bearing will not last and load up faster than a deep groove bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

And to complicate things even more, the very first HX's had a different pinion bearing than the ones that came out about a year later. Before you order bearings, you might want to measure the one you are replacing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

For this bearing I would suggest you call Avet and give them the serial number of the reel and have them send you the proper bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

I am using angular contact  bearing  in mine. They are steel and not stainless steel. As for the stock bearings you can get anywhere. All the are are standard deep Grove ball bearings. Stainless bearings are to soft and wont last long.

Mike.

gstours

As Avet is for me difficult to deal with Id rather at this time try a different bearing manufacturer for right now....  The  tear down first is always a good idea,,,,,,   butt sometimes you gamble and win,  :P  just like fishing! :-*
  If a good quality replacement bearing  in a personal reel is always protected with grease,  its my own fault if rust sets in....... >:(

Hardy Boy

Quote from: mikeysm on January 26, 2022, 03:17:47 PM
I am using angular contact  bearing  in mine. They are steel and not stainless steel. As for the stock bearings you can get anywhere. All the are are standard deep Grove ball bearings. Stainless bearings are to soft and wont last long.

Mike.

Where are you sourcing them please.

Thanks

Todd
Todd

SoCalAngler

I have gotten angler compact bearings from a place called Alpine Bearing. Any local bearing supplier near you should carry them also. I put a couple in some JX's and they really didn't seem to make a difference at all for the pinion bearing

Hardy Boy

OK thanks. Good to know.

Todd
Todd

gstours

Todd,   Ive found these on line,  Butt have not installed one yet.   So thats alll I know.
   VSX Bearings,   about 13 usd.  Shipping another 6.    Item, 706C   .....  Both sides are open and I,m not sure which side faces away from the load so i,m waiting.    In other ACB,s there was a pronounced shoulder on one side.    These have worked well for me.   Chrome Steel and not Stainless.   Grease is your friend here......
Following Keta Lees recommendation another option is a Deep Groove type,   and I may use it first. 
      Any winter trolling for kings yet?     :'(     Save me the heads for halibut bait! :D