Just joined, thanks !

Started by drcook, January 27, 2022, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drcook

Hi all from NE Ohio. I just joined. Thanks for the add to the forum.

I have recently added baitcasters to my rod and reel collection. I used spinning reels prior to this. Turns out the new neighbor across the street is a semi-pro bass fisherman and is wanting me to go fishing with him, so with careful shopping (very careful shopping) I built a small collection of rods and reels.

He is sponsored by Denali rods, got me a couple of those. I found some Lew's rods 1/2 price on Facebook locally (still in their wrappers). And some sales. :-)

I went with the Abu Garcia Revo series of reels. The Revo 4's and I picked up 2 Revo Toro S's off eBay for a great price.

I am a chronic tinkerer. I am building my Corvette for better handling, more horsepower, did the same with the truck and that spun off into the reels. (when I was a kid I was a tool & die maker, and then wrote commercial software for 28 yrs, so the more precise, etc, the better it is for me).

I discovered how easy it is to upgrade the Revo's.  I guess they are made by DOYO of Korea, and other brands use the same platform. This platform is
the Leggos of the fishing reel world. If anyone is interested, I will do a thread describing how easy it is to upgrade the bearings and where I found some
really inexpensive stainless steel ABEC 7 rated bearings at. I am good a finding things on the web, and I found a small retailer/wholesaler out of Boca Raton Florida (I live outside Akron, Ohio) that has the bearings needed for $3.57 each at the present.

It turns out that the Revo4 X is the low guy on the Revo4 totem pole. Then the S then the SX and upwards. I got the X,S and SX and started looking at the schematics. They (ABU Garcia/DOYO) are building the various price points by adding/subtracting features. I found that adding bearings in the place of nylon bushings change the way these reels feel.
drcook = david r. not Dr. Cook, but thanks for the compliment :-)

foakes

Welcome aboard to the good doctor!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

drcook

Quote from: foakes on January 27, 2022, 12:45:44 AM
Welcome aboard to the good doctor!

Best, Fred

I probably should put some commentary in. dr = david r, most folks just call me dave. since I don't post stuff that I shouldn't, nor do I post stuff to be ashamed of, I don't hide behind a nom-de-plume. I am drcook here, drcook on the corvette forum, in fact lots of places.

thank you for the welcome.
drcook = david r. not Dr. Cook, but thanks for the compliment :-)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Brewcrafter

Welcome Sir from the SoCal Inland Empire! - john

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Welcome Dave, from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Sharkb8

Welcome from south Australia

Kim

Bill B

Dave good to have you here. Looking forward to seeing and reading about your builds.  Bill, SoCal mountains
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Sounds like you'll fit right in on this forum.  Welcome.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

happyhooker

Greetings, doc c, from Minnesota

Frank

RowdyW