I need help identifying some old roller guides

Started by 54bullseye, January 27, 2022, 11:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

These stripper guides came on two old root beer colored 130 lb big game rods.

PICTURES IN REPLY BELOW

I haven't seen any others like them. They have the two main big rollers like regular double roller guides but they also have long upright rollers to protect line from any abrasion from sides of guides. They would be great for wide reels !!!

PICTURES IN REPLY BELOW

The whole rod has big old rollers which I have seen before I think they are either Mildrum's or Allan guides but I have never seen those strippers before ???  Anyone seen others like them or have any idea who made them ? Any info would be great !!
Thanks John Taylor

IMG-5235.jpg

oc1

pitchers?

If the rootbeer rods show the weave of hexcell cloth they would have been from the 1950's.

54bullseye

Having picture problems again LOL !!! Gonna work on it !!  JT

54bullseye

Quote from: oc1 on January 27, 2022, 11:25:17 AM
pitchers?

If the rootbeer rods show the weave of hexcell cloth they would have been from the 1950's.

Go to Gallery you can see them. I can't seem to post them !!  AGAIN !!

Keta

This work?

z
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

54bullseye

thorhammer

Allen's, maybe, I really don't know. But what I DO know is, those rods' color schemes are gorgeous.The colors, wood and varnish make me want to pour a double Angel's Envy and put on an ascot to look at them. I lament the passing of Gudebrod Trimar. What's out now is really not even close. I hoard whatever I can scrounge for special builds. No idea where you find this stuff, but keep the pics coming!!!!!

oc1

That's really cool.  Not Mildrums.  I agree, probably Allans.

oldmanjoe

:)  I think it is home made , built on a allen base !

Look at the stick on the left and the right vertical roller , is it loose ?

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

54bullseye

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 27, 2022, 11:17:20 PM
:)  I think it is home made , built on a allen base !

Look at the stick on the left and the right vertical roller , is it loose ?

Last night I cleaned the old guides up and I now agree with oldmanjoe !! It looks like the main blocks of the stripper guide were custom "home" made but nicely done. There are small but long machine screws coming up from the bottom of blocks that hold the long vertical rollers "and yes one looks short" . Looks like the big main rollers were the originals from stock guides and re mounted in custom blocks. The finish on the big arches is dull compared to the others a looks like they were heated and you cane see they filed groves in the arch for the head of the long screws.   oldmanjoe You nailed it !!!    Thanks !!    John Taylor

thorhammer

That's a great piece of forensic eyeballing! More impressive is the job- to be sure they didn't likely have a dremel around at that point and it was all hand-tooled.

54bullseye

Quote from: thorhammer on January 28, 2022, 12:15:02 PM
That's a great piece of forensic eyeballing! More impressive is the job- to be sure they didn't likely have a dremel around at that point and it was all hand-tooled.

Probably late 50s or 60s  Neat guides !!   JT

oldmanjoe

???    Don`t you remember the old Dentist drill !    The dremel came out in 1934 ...

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 28, 2022, 08:34:02 PM
???    Don`t you remember the old Dentist drill !    The dremel came out in 1934 ...         

Heck, my GP used one in the late '70s to grind scar tissue off the top of my ear after I cut the top of it off on a table saw top.  ::)  Too long a story for today, though.   :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 28, 2022, 09:38:31 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 28, 2022, 08:34:02 PM

Heck, my GP used one in the late '70s to grind scar tissue off the top of my ear after I cut the top of it off on a table saw top.  ::)  Too long a story for today, though.   :o

Naw thats quite the story for today! Lemme 'ear it :)