Cedros Sportfishing, new lodge - July 25 to 30, 2022

Started by alantani, February 01, 2022, 08:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

Cornelis

stoked4fishin

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Brewcrafter

stoked4fishin

tdubs99

Good people good times!

tempImagexeY7nJ.gif
tempImageZpBDWT.gif
VXTI8397.jpeg
IMG_1388.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg
IMG_1358.jpeg
EIYP0119.jpeg       

Almud

:d   Good times!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

stoked4fishin

Ron Jones

Looks like a lot of fun, can't wait for the end of this month!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

jeff, these trips are really nice.  we fly in.  it only takes 2 hours. 

this was the first of two summer trips to cedros island.  we fish with rosie flowers and cedros sportfishing.  great operation.  the island itself is 24 miles long going north to south, 4 miles wide going east to west at the narrowest point, and 11 miles wide going east to west at the widest point.  the major industry is a salt transfer station run by mitsubishi.  this island actually has several fresh water springs that deliver enough water to support 3000 people.  since 2016, all fishing boats longer then 10.5 meters have been banned. mostly it was to eliminate shrimp draggers and other net boats, but it also banned the american long range fleet. now the only way to fish these waters is from a local panga.  getting to the island is not that hard!

the first part is surviving the trip to mom's house.  tracy and i drove to the farm on saturday.  i mentioned to mom that tracy liked to play poker.  mom had steaks out, chicken and tuna for poke.  she also had the poker table all set up and rounded up my cousins for a game.  don't be fooled thinking that she is just some sweet little old lady.  at a poker table, she's vicious..... 

didn't take long to clean him out!

i held my own, but just barely. 

sunday, we left sanger, picked up ken and headed to san diego.  we had the usual dinner in the bar at miguel's.  this is me getting my scruff on!

by the second margarita, i finished the panga schedule. 

we were able to get through the CBX at otay mesa and through customs with only a few hitches. 

our plane is a 14 seat grand caravan that allows for only 72 pounds of luggage per person.  i don't get credit for only tipping the scales at 150 pounds. 

maybe a little too much excitement last night, huh?

the only perk i get as chartermaster is that i get to ride shotgun.  a couple of people has asked, but i always pay my way, just like everyone else.  i don't ride for free. 

cedros apparently had been named "fog island" in the past and you can see why.

it is such a relief to see the kelp coming back.  it had died off a few years ago.

here is the approach!  you can see the town, the small boat harbor and the salt transfer station!

we actually got to fish later that afternoon.  tracy got a nice calico bass!

back at the lodge, mai and imei are preparing all of our meals.

time to relax!

the next day, i got to fish with matt.

it was slow fishing for both of us.  one big advantage of these trips is the ability to get off the boat at the end of the day.

fishing with dave cruze on the third day.  we went north.  quite a variety. 

on the way back, we passed chris and skye.  their skipper, ramon, was having a little trouble getting the boat up on plane.  this pangas work better then the motor has a prop.  it apparently spun right off!!!

and another beautiful evening.  you know, a guy could sorta get used to this.....

fishing day four with skye.  the guy was on fire!

me, not so much, but i still did ok.

ramon was fun.  not alot of english, but he grew up on the island and was a great fisherman. 

charlie caught a nice halibut!

caught up with kevin at the dock with a nice yellowtail.

getting tired of these evening views yet?

and the last day was with beto.  i even got to drive the boat.  no fish pictures this day.  ken and i were too busy catching fish.

this was the run home. 

our last dinner for the evening was ribeye!

final morning!

and home without a hitch.

you know, if you're looking for a cheap trip, this isn't it.  the staff is wonderful.  they do everything within their means to make the trip as easy as possible.  it's just alot of work on their part and alot of expense on ours, but it's well worth it.  it's so good that tracy and i are headed back in 2 weeks!!!!

sciaenops

Never been, so I'll be looking to get on the list for nxt yrs trip(s) too.

How was the new lodge?

Cor

The fishing from Pangas looks precisely like what we do here, perhaps with the exception that the water there looks much calmer.

Nice looking Yellowtail!
Cornelis