Antique Shop Cardinal 6's

Started by Paul Roberts, February 24, 2022, 01:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Picked up 2 Cardinal 6's at an antique shop. One is working, the other a parts reel, $25 for both. Also picked up some Tom Seward Natural Ike crankbaits (I am down to 3 left!), and a Bagley's Honey B, for a couple bucks each. Since I have a couple Cardinal 7's to fish with, I didn't need these 6's. But I couldn't pass them up at that price. The badge on both is a sticker that says "Zebco by ABU". Won't be able to break into them for a bit yet, but here they are as I found them.

foakes

If you decide to sell the parts reel, one, or both, or none — I would buy whatever you wish to sell, Paul —

Or, help you with parts if you want to keep the nicer one — or both.

Have plenty of parts for these.

Nice finds!

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Fred. I'm in need of a number of DAM parts as well, and plan on sending you the list as soon as I get my office/shop/studio up and running. We've been in the process of moving so I've had everything packed away. Will let you know what I plan to keep or move on. Best, Paul

Midway Tommy

Nice find, Paul, you sure can't beat the price!  8) Those bail plates for the 6 & 7 are kind of scarce. You should be able to find one, though, if Fred doesn't have one. They seem to get a lot of abuse. I've seen a lot of them with chips at the bail trip notch. Hopefully the nylon connecting link attachments are in good shape & haven't gotten brittle. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Thanks, Paul —

I should have everything you need in the way of parts for your Cardinals & DQ's.

Let me know when the dust settles on your move.

We did the same thing 12 years ago — and it took a while to get back to the reel work.

Other priorities took center stage.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Tom. Can't wait to see what I actually have with these 6's.

Fred, yes, I'm rather steeped in other priorities at present. Been a lot of that this past year. Looking forward to the dust settling.

Paul Roberts

Finally got to these 6's. Neither were well cared for; One was... toast. But I was able to cobble the best parts and ended up with a good one. I don't know if it had seen saltwater, but it had more corrosion internally than I usually see in FW reels. But the important stuff was intact. The nylon oscillation block was intact on this one; broken on the other; Would've been nice to have a spare. It did need a replacement ball bearing, and the spool sanded and re-painted.

So, here are my ABU/Zebco Cardinals. The 4 I acquired in the 1980's and is still essentially new as it just hasn't been a GoTo for me. The 7, a recent acquisition, is essentially new. The 6 has now received the work it's so badly needed and is up to snuff.

Since I now live close to musky waters, the 6 and 7 may just get some time on the water, along with the big DQ's on the shelf just above.