My 1st Steelhead trip is coming soon.

Started by Wally15, February 24, 2022, 12:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I leave Sunday for Roseburg, OR for 4 days of Steelhead fishing on the Umpqua river. I've never even been to Oregon, and never been Steelhead fishing. Fishing with Rich (Scrinch) and Eric Gunderson. They invite me along to add a little class and savoir faire to what would otherwise be a dull and boring fishing trip (Rich would probably add VERY to the "little class" remark). Really looking forward to another bucket list fishing trip. It's 80/50 temps in S GA, looking at 50/30's in OR. Brrrr! I'll need lots of "anti-freeze".
If time allows, I hope to meet up with Lee (Keta) in Medford before my flight home. At least I know I won't be the ugliest person in Oregon.
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Crow

Sounds like fun ! Good luck, and safe travels !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

The Umpqua is one-a-those beautiful Western river destinations. God forbid you get skunked, but even so, still worth it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

good luck compadre.

some years ago I was in Denver, Co. for business and spent some weeks there, I went to a local lake for some trout/salmon fishing with no luck, but liked it a lot, I havent return to that place to try it again, that put salmon and steelhead fishing on my bucketlist too

looking forward to see pictures of your trip
The Baja Guy

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

You will like that country up there, Mike —

Good fishing!

The guides know what they are doing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

Have fun. Let me say that we are happy that you are fishing in Oregon and not BC. Scrinch stay strong.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

It's always colder on the river. Bring some good gloves, knit cap, full body long underwear, and lotta good wool socks. Better to be too warm, than too cold
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

The North Fork Umpqua River  is low and cold but rain is predicted starting Sunday.  It was in the mid 20s this morning at Winchester.  I hope the river rises, warms up and gets some color.

https://www.oregonfishreports.com/fish_reports/183437/umpqua-river-fishing-report.php

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

The water temperature and levels are rising now but some weather guessers are predicting a "atmospheric river" starting this evening.

Mark Twain

Gfish

Darn. I remember the waiting game. After a good rain, it was usually bout 2 days(depending on the drainage type and section of the river to be fished) to hit the "new fish in the river" zone.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

As of now the river is not coming up fast  I hope it is in good shape for the next 4 days.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=14319500

Mark Twain

Keta

Mark Twain