Eyes up, or down?

Started by gstours, February 25, 2022, 03:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

In the flys I posted recently this question arose.   I had a bunch of mixed hooks, so I liked the looks of the straight eyes first and then got to thinking🤔,   If I was an expert why do I not know why and when to use a bent down eye hook or even the bent up eye hook?   Somebody knows and now has a reason to tell us all.     Thanks buddy,   Whoever you are.🙋‍♂️
Thanks🙋‍♂️.
    And now the reel part of the post.    I recently saw a picture of a fly vise that possibly others in the salty world have a good use for.   This is the posted u-tube clip.    Plain and simple.    The first 6 minutes at least.    You can spare this much time right?
  I'm generally using hooks 6/0-10/0 for stinger and trailer hooks as well,   This is function over form..........🎣

Most comments welcome.   ;)   

jurelometer

If we throw  away the tweed and bamboo tradition aspect, it is mostly a matter of how you tie the leader to the hook.  If the leader goes through the eye and is tied to the shank,  then you want an upturned or downturned eye so that the leader lays inline with the hook.  This is common with trout flies and knots like the turle  knot.

The trouty guys will use an up or down turned eye based on tradition for a given pattern, how the  eye fits in with the profile of the fly's body, and gape clearance. Realistically, since most fly fishers tie a simple clinch knot to the eye, they are probably better off with straight eyes.

If you plan to use an  active retrieve with the fly, the right answer is almost always tying a loop knot from the leader to a straight eye hook.  Nothing tracks or swings better.   The vast majority of saltwater flies are tied on straight eye hooks.

There are exceptions for saltwater flies:   One option for a trailer hook is to snell or loop in an octopus hook with an upturned eye.

Another exception is the 60 degree hook. Originally a hook for lead head jigs.   Flies tied on these hooks will ride point up with less weighting, and will tend to get more corner hook sets similar to a circle hook.  Jig hooks are best used with flies worked in a start-stop retrieve. This hook will provide more of an upward lift on the start, and then drop back down on the the stop (like a jig :)).

-J

Gfish

Either up, or down, is good enough for me. This enables me to start tying with a leader first.
Basically, I get the same thing you see on snelled hooks in a package. This eliminates the knot right on the hook-eye, and gives you the beginnings of a bigger diameter fly head. The tricky part is using the loop of leader material in the back wraps to get an "overwrap" effect on about the back 3-4 wraps(godda twist the leader material around each time you do 1-wrap).

That guy keeps it real. I like his honesty.
I certainly could use a fly vise like that'n.

Was typing when J posted. For a swimming action fly: what he said. I use my saltwater flies several feet in front of swimming plugs or spoons, which provide needed wiggling action.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Ok.  Another question,   Mr. G fish,   You fish some flys ahead of a spoon or plug correct?   Can you briefly describe your best way to attach the flys with a leader.   Loops, clips, knots,   Spacing etc for our consideration?
   I would like to try some thing like this when I get time.    Thanks.     Gst.

Gfish

Yeah. Always the same: Ball-bearing swivel, one end to line, other end to 2– leaders; a 4' leader terminating at the lure, plus a short 6" leader terminating  at the fly(snell knot tie). About 50/50, lure to fly bites. Sometimes toothy fish ruin the leaders and I have to replace them.
I think I'mina try J's loop knot thing, when time to replace the fly leader from now-on. More fly movement is prolly more lifelike. But will still start-off with the snell knot flies. They are convenient to make using that knot. The lures always have a split ring in front for more movement & less knot friction. Also, I might could use a tiny split ring on the flies, instead of a loop-knot,  thinkin on it now...
All knots, except the snelled leader to fly knot are "granny improved clinch". 2-loops around the attachment wire, typical clinch wrap, and then a terminal granny on the tag-end, in case of line slip. This knot will not ___ up. 20lb mono or less, I just double the line for a standard clinch, but if it's not PERFECT, it can slip...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Many tanks mr. Gf.    Interesting set up.    I like the snelled fly ideas of yours,   It would foul less on itself probably?🐟