Age of Squidder

Started by Maxed Out, March 12, 2022, 06:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

This is a test. Gonna try and post a pic. This is a early 50's squidder and here are a few pointers to help you'all to determine which era  squidder you have.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Ok, well the pictures were easy to load.

Now, the squidder was black from 1938 to approx mid 60's. Then it went to dark maroon and mid 70's a bit brighter maroon color, then back to black. So, how can you tell if it's a late model black version, or the early version ? Well, if it's all original, the early version headplate has 3 words embedded for the eccentric lever. Off, gear, on. The first dark maroon reels only say off, on. That word "gear" never appears again on the squidder. So you know if your black squidder is non numbered, it's pre 1950. If your black squidder has part numbers and that word gear by the eccentric lever, then you know it's a 1950's to early 60's reel. If it has the original rod clamp and it's slotted, you know it's pre 1954. Sometimes It's tough dating an old reel without the box or papers.

broadway

Nice explanation, Ted. Never noticed that. Always helpful to have more info like that on our site.
Thanks,
Dom

mo65

Looks like ya got the pic posting under control Ted! :d
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Wompus Cat

And all this time I thought they wuz SQUIBBERS  ???
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Know Henry, thats the name of the fish, they were catching with them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Ted - That is a beautiful reel, and thanks for sharing your knowledge!  - john

Wompus Cat

Kidding aside or not so nearby ......
Ditto on Brewcrafter's post .
Virgin State is RARE for that .
Thanks for all you helped me with in Larnin Bout these Pin Reels.
Gonna Find My Squibber with the 3 icons on it, in the Box with xtra Spool ,Tool and paerwork to show .

1badf350

Ted people always ask me about when the squidder head plate mold plug logo changes were made. I don't have an answer for them because I don't know. Was the early version the normal style of logo, then the straight word logo like you have pictured, then back to the normal style logo?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Good question Chris. I never noticed the change on the mold plug. I did just look at my late 40's squidder and it is the slanted logo. I don't own any other squidders. I'm sure a few members can help us solve the logo change question

Edit: I do have a NIB bright red 1980's 146 squidder, and it has the slanted standard logo

Ted

Gfish

Thanks Ted. That's what I call a test+. + good info. If ya needa test pictures again that'ed be a good way to do it. Would like to date a LB Deluxe someday and get the size(not on stand—-?)
Got 1 dark maroon 146, "Penn Squidder" in cursive at 45degrees. So, 1960's to mid 70's. Has the Newell bars and spool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

What the heck, my 1st picture test.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Greg, please post a couple pics of your long beach deluxe

Ted

Swami805

I have this squidder has the straight logo, the word gear at the shifter and part numbers so I'm thinking early 50's anyway
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wompus Cat

Right Side up