Fountain for Pond

Started by jgp12000, March 15, 2022, 07:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I am looking for a fountain for my 2 acre pond.Something nice like you see in a park with LED lights.The power has to be run 250 ft from shop to pond(outlet) then maybe another 150 ft to the middle of pond.If anyone has expertise in this area any insight will be appreciated.

Ron Jones

Can't help, but would love to see what it looks like when complete!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jgp12000

oldmanjoe

Do you have a good turn over of water or do you get algae blooms .   That may determine the size of the pump that will be needed .   Howsabout somthin like this .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Is it a hard "NO" to solar? If not that may be your better bet. A panel, a battery ,and a solar controller with capacity to run a pretty big fountain is gonna cost under $150 and as long as you go for a 12v fountain pump (very common) then the wiring is a breeze and you don't need to consider AC conversion or any of that headache.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Joe I have seen the one at the Bellagio in Vegas, but never had to go to Dubai, that's impressive! Jason I would love to do solar if possible, I even thought about a windmill, not sure it could produce enough juice yet. I want a pump powerful enough to produce at least 20 feet vertical, from my research it may have to be a 1-3 hp pump? I worked in electronics for 38 years and can do all the wiring. My ditch witch guy has installed several fountains and recommends getting a 220VAC unit. I know it will draw less current and in the long run be cheaper to run after the initial cost. I know there is a formula for what gauge/distance for a run. I have to go 250ft from my shop to the pond to stub up an outlet(thinking 10 gauge but haven't done the math). Then the fountain cord is another 150ft to center of pond, any insight will be appreciated?

JasonGotaProblem

Truthfully my design was based on a waterfall where GPM mattered to me more than feet of head, so I never calculated that. If memory serves an 80gpm 12v pump needs about 2A to run. A 40w panel could run that even if it's not super sunny.

Full disclosure I haven't given this any thought in about a year, take my #s with a grain of salt.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Dominick

I can't wait to see the finished product.  Videos please.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jgp12000

Will do, I can see us watching it at sundown with the lights on in lieu of tv.

oc1

It's complicated and probably not a good DIY hack project.  You cannot buy a conventional pump and expect it to work.  It will need to be an impeller encased in a sleeve and throwing water against a cone.  The float has to hold the outlet at just the right height and not start bouncing or wobbling around.

Your best bet is to buy a complete unit off the shelf from Scott Aerator or someone like that.  You will get a more dramatic affect with less horsepower.

jgp12000

I have ordered the fountain and remote controlled color changing light kit. It is a Scott Aerator "Amherst" 1.5HP. I bought 300' 8/3 UF to run from the shop to the fountain. My ditch witch guy is coming Thursday. For the electricians in our group the pump draws 10.6 amps/lights 1.5amps.I was told to get a "water rated" GFIC which I haven't found yet which I never heard of I thought they all were? The local electrical parts house is looking for one. I googled breaker rating is to be 1.25 times the required amperage? This equals 15.1 amps, so I am rounding up to a 20 amp breaker. I will post pics when complete.

handi2

I can't find the picture but I have a 1/2 acre pond that has a 120v misting system. It had a weighted air line underwater from the pump to the aerator. The aerator floats on top.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

I do have it.

No picture of the pump though.

Gulf Breeze, FL

jgp12000

What's the dolphin do,is that it, that's cool? Nice pond!

handi2

Quote from: jgp12000 on April 26, 2022, 05:09:33 PMWhat's the dolphin do,is that it, that's cool? Nice pond!

Right now it's a target for my suppressed custom Ruger 10/22

It was put in by the previous owner

The only water rated receptacle I've see or had inspected was one outside my garage in a waterproof box from any home store

The pump is in a wooden box mounted on a 4x4. Painted green

The brick structure sprays water but it doesn't do any aeration. It's more like a pool fountain

Keith

Gulf Breeze, FL