Fish Hook/Extra Short Gaff

Started by Bill B, March 23, 2022, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

After last years 8 Day SOA trip while sorting fish at the processor's area I found that a fish hook/extra short gaff worked pretty well, especially when pulling those razor toothed wahoo out of the carts.  My original is an antique Barr Bros. Gaff.  Not really expensive, but pretty old.  I figured why not try to make one.  Scavenged one 1/4" steel rod and a scrap of oak and got to work.  I drilled a blind 1/4" hole in the handle then a 1/8" through hole to secure the gaff in the handle. A liberal application of expoxy to secure the hardware and some red oak stain for the wood and we have a second gaff.  You can see the original next to the new one.  The new one is a little longer at 7 3/8" but the rest is faithful to the original.  Was a fun quick project. I will bring both on this years 8 day.  Hopefully we have a bunch of razor toothed wahoo to try them out on 😜. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

That is well done indeed. Maybe some BLO over that stain to keep the wood in good shape? On Ted's boat, the short gaff is used more than any other, very handy to move things around.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

Are you gonna put tick marks on the handle for every hoo you catch?

Bill B

Quote from: pjstevko on March 23, 2022, 04:06:35 AMAre you gonna put tick marks on the handle for every hoo you catch?

It might be virgin for a couple years though 😂😂😂. Bill

Cuttyhunker

Go to a commercial fishing supply house and ask for a gillnet pick. Four bucks.
Doomed from childhood

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 23, 2022, 04:29:05 AM
Quote from: pjstevko on March 23, 2022, 04:06:35 AMAre you gonna put tick marks on the handle for every hoo you catch?

It might be virgin for a couple years though 😂😂😂. Bill
AH..   you can practice moving hay bales with those hooks !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rancanfish

Pretty and functional. Watch out you don't tell too many people on the trip what a great tool it is. Don't want to get it borrowed, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 24, 2022, 04:04:19 PMPretty and functional. Watch out you don't tell too many people on the trip what a great tool it is. Don't want to get it borrowed, lol.

Might have to paint them like the old pier reels 😉. Or just make a couple more as give always.  🤔. Bill

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 24, 2022, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on March 24, 2022, 04:04:19 PMPretty and functional. Watch out you don't tell too many people on the trip what a great tool it is. Don't want to get it borrowed, lol.

Might have to paint them like the old pier reels 😉. Or just make a couple more as give always.  🤔. Bill

Yes please!

Bill B

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 25, 2022, 01:42:03 AMPJ pm sent 🤫
Nothing new is showing in my inbox.....

You should bring a couple on the July 3 day as raffle prizes

Bill B

Yeah I won't be on the July trip, I'm going in June. I will have to put one aside for you.  Bill

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

PJ I put your gaff in the mail today... let me know what you think or can improve. Bill