Penn 259

Started by farmer56, March 23, 2022, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer56 here ..  i have been working over a  penn 259 and here is my problem , put new fine thread  gear sleeve in , 5-stack drag, but the old
 10-60 coarse threaded star had reccessed cut out on back side .. the new 10-505 doesn't have the cut out ..  the 9-60 gear sleeve spacer measures about .480 tall ..  looking on mystic site penn makes a .500 one ...  looking at the gear sleeve installed i think a .500 is too short  ,, a .550 i think would work and still catch threads for handle ...  so does anybody make a .550 sleeve or do i scrap the fine thread sleeve and get a coarce thread  and use the old 10-60 star ....already bought a few bridges to get the larger dia. shaft ....   dennis

Gfish

I don't know about a 0.550 spacer, but I'd try a washer to get more height.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

farmer56

put two of the wavey washers in and then the combined stack rubbed the inside of the right side plate ...only thing i didn't try then was not tightening the stack down a little  to see if noise went away ..

foakes

Hi Dennis —-

If there is room for the threads to hold —- a spacer that is 3/32's to 1/8" taller would work —- then play around with the wavy washer (should only need one).

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

I would try to place one wavy washer under the sleeve then one or two above the sleeve to see if it eliminates the grinding of the washer with the sideplate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Pro challenger on here sells spacers,might have what you're looking for
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: farmer56 on March 23, 2022, 09:00:49 PMDo I scrap the fine thread sleeve and get a coarse thread and use the old 10-60 star ....already bought a few bridges to get the larger dia. shaft ....  dennis

You can just save the fine thread sleeve for a future project, and get a #10-49 star to go with the standard thread sleeve. That 49 star is big as a #10-66, but has the recessed cut out you need! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

What Bryan said. My first post, I didn't explain that 🤔. Put a washer(either regular or wavey)on top of the spacer, and underneath the 10-505 star.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

farmer56

Hey Mo65 was not aware of the 10-49 . thanks for heads-up on that .. I kneed a few longer side plate screws anyway , so an order to mystic will be going out ...the combo of the large dia. 10-49 star with the non standard .500 sleeve spacer using the one wavy should give me the range of drag i want ...480 is the standard according to mystic . I liked all the advice from all ..

farmer56

well the saga continues , or the plot thickens ,,,   couldn't wait for mystic so i thought what would farmer-bob do ...  went down to the local hardware store and got a foot of 3/8" type "M" copper .. wanted type "L"  "type "L" is thicker" but they had none .. after multiple cuts .525" would be best overall length for spacer .. i ran into same problem with a squidder or two , also ..  what planet was penn on to not make gear sleeve long enough with out using  recessed cuts in the star  ,,,i get it so we don't get excessive sleeve wear , ""did they not know SS" was on the way ,, who knew,,,   so right now i'm waiting for mystic to answear back on the 9-60500 sleeve ,,, or i would like a ss course thread gear sleeve to make use of Mo65 suggestion of the 10-49 star ,, as always farmer56 out

farmer56

making Mo65 happy ,,,,  after looking  at all my rehab reels found a squidder with a 10 tooth coarse thread gear sleeve ..  that took time almost gave up but last reel had coarse thread !!!  why not the first !!oh well .. so for right now i have a 259 w/ss gear sleeve AND large star thanks to Mo65 , just what i wanted .. would love to send pic. but i don't know how ,, my boys will school me if I CAN LEARN ????

mo65

Glad it worked out buddy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~