Penn 6/0 and 9/0 washer set

Started by john2244, February 01, 2012, 07:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

Is there a thin set of washers available to get a 7 stack in a Penn 6/0 or 9/0 reel ???

alantani

sorry, no.  a 5 stack is the best you can do.  there are two types of drag stacks.  the old drag stack had fewer washers and the fiber drag washers were thick and they looked like they belonged in a car brake.  the metal washers were thick as well.  the new type is thinner - the metal drag washers are thinnner and they use ht-100 in between which are much thinner as well.  here is your list of conventional penn reels.  you will have to order the thinner metal and carbon fiber washers separately.  don't forget to get a #6-114 drag washer to go underneath the main gear.  i like to use those instead of the hard fiber washers.  add a 1 ounce tub of cal's grease and you should be all set!

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Alan,

Thanks for the information.  I did replace the old drag set in a Penn 9/0 from a 3 stack to a 5 stack but I was wondering if there is a very thin set available so I could do a 7 stack ???

John

Bryan Young

with carbon fiber, yes.  Metal washers...no.

Maybe my answer was too short and abrupt (thanks John, and Sorry John).

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 01, 2012, 08:57:18 PM

Hi John, 

Dawn has paper thin carbontex washers that would be good to make a 7 stack, but unfortunately, thinner metal washers at not available unless you want to lap some to a thinner thickness.

With the current metal washers that are available, you could fit with carbontex washers maybe another eared washer, which will not have any benefit (6+1) and what you have now.

Hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D