Rough bearing 2052

Started by JeffG, March 28, 2022, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

Hi all! I have a Shakespeare 2052 that spine well , but just sounds weird! Hard to explain the noise, it's like a whiney light grinding sound. It also does it without the rotor on so that's what makes me think it's the bearing. When I took it apart to clean I noticed it was shielded on both sides. I soaked it in lacquer thinner and then soaked in TSI 321 after letting it dry. So I don't know if it's bad or if should pull a shield off and pack it with grease instead of using oil. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff

oldmanjoe

Pull the shields off and than clean it , this way all the dirt comes out .   Than grease or oil the bearing
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

REPLACE IT.
If it is grindy Gritty and was shielded ( Shields keep grit out but not moisture )then it is BAAAAAAAD .
OR just fish it and hope the Vibes it sends down the line will attract the Fishies instead of Scare them off.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

If it were mine I would pop the shield off of one side, clean as much old grease out as I can with a pick, soak it for a day in lacquer thinner to get anything left in there out, spin dry it good, add a little synthetic oil, spin it some more and add a nice amount of Super Lube. If it's a little stiff after that I'd add a little more synthetic oil to thin the grease. I would install it with the shielded side toward the rotor (unshielded side toward the body) and use it. Sometimes it takes a little use to create a film on all the balls & metal after a thorough cleaning. It will quiet down after some use. In all the reels that I have serviced, at least 5 or 600, I have never had to replace a bearing unless the reel was used and abused in saltwater. There is nothing wrong with replacing a bearing and it's not expensive but it's hard for me to imagine an UL needing a new bearing. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

:cf
While all of the above is  Certainly sound advice and can be used in some degree  .A lot depends on WHAT caused this to happen  and if you have a lot of time to spend on multiple remedies  and Buy all the Cleaning  Supplies ,Greases and oils to save 3 or 4 bux for a new bearing it will be advantageous . I wish you all the Luck in the World in you adventure and HOPE you will post back the outcome of your endeavors.

Tommy admittedly has saved probably in the neighborhood of 2000 dollars or more in salvaging his bearings and that ain't CHICKEN FEED. Me I have not been so lucky in the Thousands of Bearing procedures I have done in Everything from a pinion bearing on a vintage rear axel assembly  to a Lawnmower hub and Countless Reels and the like .
I have not spent a dime on repairs on anything to anyone in over 50 years except to a Warranty Service to Tighten the Handle on my 3 year old Refrigerator just a few months ago  and the Guy had to drive 80 miles From Dallas for me to show him How to do it .
He was on hold with the factory for over 30 minutes and I just got tired of waiting which I should have just fixed it myself in the first place BUT I paid good money for a WARRANTY for them to send out a guy with about 50 lbs of tech equipment on his Nice Leather Bat Man UTILITY BELT along with a Lap Top and a Manual in 5 Languages none in which he was Fluent including English plus with all the Gadgets,Meters,Diagrams, and Call to  The Factory Tech Service  I had to loan him one of my Torque bits (which is still missing ) (just sayin  I could have misplaced it ) to tighten the aforementioned Handle bracket after I showed him How to remove the Cover .Then he spent an additional 10 minutes putting all his gear back up then 20 more minutes in my Driveway writing the Repair Form up .

Had I known in advance what a Friggen FIASCO this was gonna be I might have been able to salvage a few hundred ol Bearings I got layin around ..........I dunno  :o
 :cf
Yep it is EARLY .

foakes

As regulars on Alan's site, we tend to forget how much we know or can actually do mechanically.  It is second nature to us.  We either grew into it —- or we learned these skills over many reels.  Or by paying attention to the guys on our site who share their skills, expertise, and tricks of the trade freely.

This is true with nearly anything around the house, shops, workplace, basically anything that needs fixing —- we can do, if we wish to.

We take it for granted —- and shouldn't.  It is a lifetime of learning and valuable skills.

This is something to be proud of, for each of us.

On bearings —-

Yes, if a new bearing is not easily available —- and the bearing can easily be cleaned, lubed, and will work to my satisfaction for another 20 years —- the shield gets popped off and tossed in the trash —- and the bearing is rejuvenated.

If it still doesn't work as when brand new after the bearing flush and lube —- then I have wasted time that I cannot charge a client for —- and I end up replacing the bearing anyway.

So, at least for me, a bearing/bearing set —- is one of the cheapest and most useful fixes on a reel.  The bearing/bearings get more use than any other part of the reel.

Have I replaced some bearings that could have been restored?  You bet!  Have I had any complaints or comebacks from clients?  No!

And for me, the same goes for a reel whether it is for a client, myself, or just shelf fishing.  If it doesn't work properly when called upon to do so —- it is just a paperweight.

For me, it is just a no-brainer —- a new bearing improves the operation of an old reel to near new every time.  Cheap and easy.

No Drama Llama.

BTW, those little Shakes 2052 maroon reels are pretty solid and well made.  Couple of weak spots —- but generally a 100% reel.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

I'm gonna pull off a shield sometime this week and give it a good soaking and flush. If it don't work I'll get another. Gonna use grease or a mix instead of just oil this time to see if it's the issue.

Thanks all!
Jeff

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Cubby1973 on March 28, 2022, 05:11:49 PMI'm gonna pull off a shield sometime this week and give it a good soaking and flush. If it don't work I'll get another. Gonna use grease or a mix instead of just oil this time to see if it's the issue.

Thanks all!
Jeff

Good idea! A new bearing is never a bad idea whether it's needed or not, but most of us don't have quick access to quality correct size bearings so knowing how to rejuvenate the original when needed ends up being a great option.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

I may have inadvertently of course left out the part that My Wife showed me  how to get the Cover off the Bracket a week earlier .  :-[  But Still..............

oldmanjoe

:)  Ok    Here is my take on fixing things , if it is old more than likely it was make well, that`s why it is still around
  New parts are made to be throw away, made from recycled materials ,not virgin steels  or real chrome .

Take things apart ,see how it was made .  Or you can be that Refrigerator repair man that will replace the whole door because it is a component part .    Was there a service call fee for the Warranty Service ?
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 28, 2022, 06:50:52 PMI may have inadvertently of course left out the part that My Wife showed me  how to get the Cover off the Bracket a week earlier .  :-[  But Still..............
:d

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 29, 2022, 01:31:44 AM:)  Ok    Here is my take on fixing things , if it is old more than likely it was make well, that`s why it is still around
  New parts are made to be throw away, made from recycled materials ,not virgin steels  or real chrome .

Take things apart ,see how it was made .  Or you can be that Refrigerator repair man that will replace the whole door because it is a component part .    Was there a service call fee for the Warranty Service ?
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 28, 2022, 06:50:52 PMI may have inadvertently of course left out the part that My Wife showed me  how to get the Cover off the Bracket a week earlier .  :-[  But Still..............
:d

I totally Agree on the older the better scenario .
There was no service fee on the Repair but the Repairman was unaware how things are put together and Damn sure didn't know how to take it apart ....lol

I still have the Refrigerator we bought 46 years ago when we first got married and it still works Flawlessly . The only reason I replaced it was I could not find a Defrost coil at the time but found one later after we paid ten times more for a New one and this was about 11 years ago and going on the third one in those 11 years.

Just bought a NEW WASHER AND DRYER and Stove .
Delivery guys would not hook the Dryer  nor washer up without me buying all new dryer vents and cord and Hoses for the washer. I still had to remove the connections on the Washer and hook it up after they left cuz they did not have a pipe wrench  .
Then the Dryer worked 1 time and the knob  was too hard to turn for my Wife and I called the place I bought it and they said their Warranty was only good for 24 hours sooooo after 2 months and three different repair appointments that did not show up  they GAVE ME MY MONEY BACK and told me to dispose of the Dryer ..............
YOU KNOW I fixed it myself don't you  :d

You won't Believe the Trouble I had with the Stove I SPECIAL ORDERED FOR PROPANE USE.

mo65

Quote from: Cubby1973 on March 28, 2022, 01:33:32 AMHi all! I have a Shakespeare 2052 that spine well , but just sounds weird! Hard to explain the noise, it's like a whiney light grinding sound. It also does it without the rotor on so that's what makes me think it's the bearing. When I took it apart to clean I noticed it was shielded on both sides. I soaked it in lacquer thinner and then soaked in TSI 321 after letting it dry.

If it is only noise...not grinding or rough...then yes...the thicker lube should solve the problem. I can tell you from experience that TSI 321 is too thin to be a "quiet" bearing lube. I have had new/otherwise good bearings sing and howl when using it...that's the trade off for being so "free". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Wompus Cat

Quote(Mo65) If it is only noise...not grinding or rough...then yes...the thicker lube should solve the problem. I can tell you from experience that TSI 321 is too thin to be a "quiet" bearing lube. I have had new/otherwise good bearings sing and howl when using it...that's the trade off for being so "free".

Mo got it right on the too thin of oil Like the TSI-321 as that stuff will go past any lube or grease in there and permeate the balls and can def make your old bearings whine .Trouble is you will need something like Brake Kleen to get that stuff out and off the surface and penetration level of the bearing THEN apply your Grease or heavier lube .

Good Call Mo ! :d

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on March 29, 2022, 10:39:41 AM  If it is only noise...not grinding or rough...then yes...the thicker lube should solve the problem. I can tell you from experience that TSI 321 is too thin to be a "quiet" bearing lube. I have had new/otherwise good bearings sing and howl when using it...that's the trade off for being so "free". 8)

So true! Plus, original bearings in those quality older spinners have to be in awful rough shape before they're unsalvageable.

I've said it time and time again, there's no need for spinning reels bearings to spin freely forever like casting reels because the line pays out freely when the bail is open. Spinning reel bearings just need to be smooth and functional. When you're playing a fish free spin has no relevance. All that free spin hocus-pocus in spinners is just to impress the purchaser.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

alantani

whenever a bearing is sketchy, i always replace it.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!